Friday, January 26, 2007

Language Disorder

It's been a while since I diagnosed myself. I typically say that I have ADD because my attention span really is short. It certainly makes studying for classes like dysphagia extremely difficult.

The other day, while I engaged in a group therapy session with MC1, I believe I have convinced MC1 to think that I have a language disorder that is more severe than her little elementary school kiddos -- who are adorable by the way.

We played a round of "Go Fish" with her 4th and 5th graders. MC1 likes to use her deck of "What's Wacky?" language cards to play because each student must describe the picture card that they want in complete, detailed sentences (Goals targeted: Wh-questions, inverted sentence structure, sentence expansion, details, & pragmatics). Who knew that it would become an informal assessment to determine that I have a language disorder?

Me: J, do you have a card with a man sitting in a jacuzzi wearing winter clothes?
J: No, go fish.
MC1 heartily laughing: J, I think Ms. Liang comes from a wealthier area where people have jacuzzis and spas. The picture she is asking for is of three people sitting in a plastic swimming pool with one man wearing winter clothes.
I was laughing, too (but partially out of embarrassment). What's fun about MC1 is that she will make "grown-up" jokes/comments that these kiddos wouldn't understand (at that age). I think it keeps her sane, though, so I can't hate on her for that.
Me: E, do you have a snowman that is sweating in a desert?
E: Go fish.
MC1 laughing again: Ms. Liang, do you mean to ask E if he has a snowman that is melting in the desert?
I swear I'm like fresh off the boat!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Hysterical - you could have said, "Oh no, we just always call our plastic swimming pools jacuzzis to give our backyard some ambiance!"

Dude - that is too funny! And the snowman was sweating!

Mark Reisch said...

Welcome to America! We have lots to see and do!

you may even see that snowman sweating. LOL

too funny

Chanel said...

Seriously, maybe I shouldn't be sitting in front of these kids and teaching them! They should be teaching me! ;)