Thursday, April 27, 2006

Whisper

I studied like a mofo today. First, I hit Sbux and despite there being free wifi, I was quite productive. School was a little different, though. I have a serious dysfunction when it comes to studying at the school library. A part of it is that I can't stand all the chatting in the "Quiet Zone"...yet the sound of blenders whirling and espresso shots being pulled is totally fine with me. Go figure. The good news is that I found some extremely comfy chairs in the other wing of the library that I've never studied at. Woo-hoo!

Re: my midterm ~ Dr. Chairperson sure knows the power of intermittent reward schedules. I was feeling great, jamming thru the first 3 pages until I got to "Name the 3 cavities of the larynx." I completely racked my brains and couldn't think of them. I could totally hear Dr. Chairperson lecturing us on how that was supposed to be a freebie yet half (or only I) missed that. Fortunately, I ended up getting 2 out of 3 right out of sheer luck. Past that, I was on the intermittent reward schedule; I'd feel great about every few questions and then another bomb would be dropped.


I also love and hate that his extra credit is usually, "Tell me a joke." I'm terrible at writing/telling jokes. Fortunately, I came up with the "whisper" joke, only I told/wrote it so poorly. I found a better and shorter version on the internet. I thought it was quite appropriate since the exam also covered whispering (e.g., muscles, vocal cord configurations, etc. that are involved).

Here it goes:

There was a 5-year-old boy who embarrassed his bridge-playing mother when he
loudly announced, "I want to go to the toilet."

Mom reprimanded: "Don't say toilet...Whisper!"

That night the youngster tiptoed into his parents' bedroom and tugged on his
dad's arm. "Whatja want?" his sleepy father asked.

"I wanna whisper!" the boy said urgently.

"Oh, all right. Then just whisper in Daddy's ear."

No comments: