Thursday, April 30, 2009

34 more days and counting

It wasn't me that counted down the exact days...it was our janitor lady.

34 more days until this assignment is over.

I'm exhausted from this week, even though it's not yet over. My IEP marathon (record total of 7 in 4 days) ends late tomorrow. Thank goodness because I've been suffering from insomnia despite exhaustion, getting stress hives, and succumbing to unhealthy vices. A big "lesson" I've learned/executive decision I've established for myself this week is that I do not want to hold any more IEPs for students that I did not assess.

I had my BCBA supervision meeting this afternoon and my associates analyzed my behavior re: my co-worker and I. This is what was discussed and determined:
  • The function of my behavior is hypothesized to be control, but since that is a mentalistic viewpoint, that cannot possibly be it.
  • Therefore, the function of my behavior is hypothesized to be for me to avoid a bad reputation (I just want to do a good job).
  • I negatively reinforce my co-worker's escape/avoidance of work. By doing "her" work, I decrease the amount of complaining I hear from her.
  • However, she is positively reinforced to continue avoiding work b/c I keep doing her work; she keeps getting away with not doing work.
  • I am positively reinforced when I do her job because I receive praise from District and County people.
  • Failed antecedent interventions: 1) I created checklists to minimize my interactions with her and for the Team to stay organized and minimize mistakes. It failed b/c she doesn't use them and commented behind my back, "next year, [when I'm gone] there won't be so many damn checklists." My response behind her back: there wouldn't be so many "damn" checklists if you were doing your job right. 2) Offer to co-hold IEPs with her, but she refused.
  • More potential antecedent interventions: 1) have administrator remind the Team that whomever completes an assessment must hold the IEP; 2) give District staff a list of students I case-manage so that when a problem comes up, staff doesn't always come to me when it involves her; 3) have both of us attend scheduling meetings.
  • By avoiding going to that side tomorrow (and avoiding seeing her), I am giving myself a "time-out."
Gotta love this ABA stuff.

But what would be a Functionally Equivalent Replacement Behavior for me??

No comments: