Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Old Speech Teacher

In the middle of one of my autism therapy sessions, my favorite general ed students from last year, C & D, stopped in the doorway and bellowed, "Hey old speech teacher!" I was so excited that they stopped by that it took a couple seconds to register what they called me. Ha! I used to get on them all the time about not knowing my name. Oh well.

Seeing them really made my day as I've really missed them. The last time I saw DA, he pretty much pretended he didn't see me and ignored me. I was sooo crushed. Hubby hypothesized that DA probably had issues with abandonment so when I "left" their school to go to MB, he went through detachment...which may be his coping mechanism considering his personal life. That made me even sadder to think that because I didn't want to "leave" him...but work is work and we can get moved at the flip of a dime.

So when I saw him today, I asked how he's been and whether he had his Tri-IEP and tested out. He said no he didn't have his IEP (which made me cringe inside for various reasons)...and then he paused and said that his parents weren't contacted, but come to think of it, both were in jail at the time (which goes back to Hubby's hypothesis about attachment/abandonment issues). He also shared that he was moving after graduation and attending a different high school. I asked how he felt about that and he said, "I'm excited." "You are?" "Yeah, cuz there'll be more girls!" I laughed and said, "Of course!" b/c that's the same ol' DA I know.

As for CV, he's still holding it over my head that I "left" them with the "crazy speech lady." Everytime I see him, he sizes me up and gives me a hard time about that no matter how often I tell him that I didn't want to leave.

I know it's corny, but it really makes me sad when my old kiddos will act like they don't know me and walk right past me. On the flipside, it makes my day when they actually greet me. Talk about detachment issues!

No comments: