Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Counting Down

Seven more weeks until summer vacation! Thankfully, the seven weeks will be broken up with a weekend trip to Vegas and Memorial Day holiday(which falls on a weekday that I'm usually in MB). Hubby and I will go to Vegas to visit his parents in 3 weeks. I am already dreaming about our mini-vacation -- sleeping in a very plushy bed, eating a huge mound of cocktail shrimps at Red Rock buffet, and having coffee just to indulge (not just to keep me awake).

Seven more weeks until June 18. My co-worker and I have been planning a "last day in MB celebration" for some time now. It will likely be a late lunch with endless french fries -- our favorite comfort food. No happy hour with libations b/c: 1) she does not imbibe and 2) I have my last BCBA supervision class that afternoon.

I really am trying not to complain so much. I know I've learned a lot this year, and through it all, I've been really blessed in countless ways. The big obvious blessing is that my job is secure. Yesterday, I was at my other site and there was a substitute teacher from Nigeria. This statement is not meant to be misconstrued in any way, but I have noticed that a lot of subsitute SDC (autism) teachers are from Nigeria. Yesterday, the teacher asked me about being an SLP. I asked if he was pursuing a Masters in Education or striving to be a permanent teacher here. He quickly said, "no way..." He elaborated on the budget crisis and how it doesn't make sense to him how teachers are getting pink-slipped. He shared that in Nigeria, teachers are highly respected. They are the first educators of those who grow up to become doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, and all other highly-successful professionals. As obvious as that might be, I never thought of it like that. When people argue that educators don't get paid enough for what they do, I always thought of it in terms of like...all the crap we put up with! Ridiculous parents, mounds of paperwork, preparation time (from home), purchasing own supplies, etc. Maybe the overall thing is that educators just don't get enough recognition.

Or maybe I'm back to griping b/c it's been a hard, un-awesome week for me. Today's first IEP totally sucked for many reasons; I refuse to hold any more IEPs for someone else. All things considered, I'm hanging in well though...despite my typical psychosomatic stress symptoms of insomnia, stress hives/eczema, anxiety attacks, and stress-eating. I have to say that Hubby's been keeping me sane.

Everyday, I look forward to coming home and getting good laughs. Today, I came home with two Twinkies that I got from work that kind of got smooshed in my purse. He said, "I'm going to have my smashed Twinkie now..." After a slight pause, he asked, "Did you steal these from [favorite student with severe autism who doesn't care when other students steal his food]?" I couldn't believe he asked me that!

Just now, he told me he loves me. He said, "I read on Yahoo that I have to tell you I love you everyday. I love you." I thought that was so cute and funny that he read that on Yahoo. I got all excited and exclaimed, "You read those Yahoo [relationship tips] articles, too?" He said, "yes...And I love you tomorrow and all day tomorrow..." Before I could say, "how sweet," he said, "...so I don't have to say it again tomorrow." That's cheating...!

No comments: