Monday, September 08, 2008

Pit Stop

I saw a few of my kiddos today, but I took it easy by calling the easier ones. I saw my favorite conversationalist (the one that speaks with the slushiest "s" that I am so determined to correct by the end of this year!). He told me about his summer and about his 3 poodles...It wasn't until after I left that I remembered him offering me a "teacher's discount" if I wanted to buy one of his poodles. As a great conversationalist, he asked what I did this summer. I said, "I'm old...so I did nothing and doing nothing is very relaxing for me!"

Later on, I was coming back from the teacher's lounge when I saw J320 and his aide coming around the corner. (Now that I'm only a few doors down, I get to see my kiddos more frequently outside of therapy.) His aide stopped at the first door and prompted him, "J--! J--! Where are you going? Come back!" There is one thing about J320 that the aide quickly learned; the boy will go wherever he desires. So I walked towards him, expecting him to walk right past me, but instead, he walked right up to me! I was surprised that he still recognized me with my dark sunglasses on. I held my hand out and prompted, "let's go to class; walk all done." He didn't say anything but simply took my pinky, and we walked right back to his classroom. As soon as we stepped inside, he let go and walked off as if nothing had happened.

The aide was standing at the door the entire time and saw that and was both confused and amazed. LOL

That was the best part of my day. It was such a heartwarming experience for me. No words said, just a simple gesture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely story of your interactions and success with a student! Nice work! You obviously are having a great influence on the kids there. And what a teachable moment you gave to the aide too. As usual, you impress me!