Monday, March 31, 2008

Off the top of your head

This morning, I ran into the principal in the parking lot. We exchanged the cordial hellos, and she asked how it was going. I enthusiastically said, "really well!" (and did my characteristic nodding-of-head-in-agreement-with-myself). She stopped in her footsteps and asked me, "Off the top of your head, do you know how many are on your caseload?"

As if I don't open up the online IEP program and stare at my caseload number everyday including the weekends (moreso in fear that the number will increase).

"56."

Her eyes got big. "Fifty-six?"
"Yeah...56 just for [the middle school] plus the County kids."
"Does the 56 include the County kids?"
"No..."
"How many County kids are there?"
"Five...but they require a good amount of service," as I try to respond carefully b/c I'm not quite sure what she's getting at.
"Fifty-six. Wow, I thought you had around twenty of our kids."

WTH? That's crazy talk! That's a dream job! To have 20 kiddos and a VTW to assist me! Yeah right!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I conducted snack-time with the 320s today and J320 had me cracking up again! I don't know where he got this from but today, when I prompted him to begin his request with my name, he said it in such a funny way!

Usually, he "chunks" my name and drops final consonants so it comes out as, "Mi'-Lee-A." Today, it was all drawn out and sing-songy, "MiiiLeee-aaaaa." It's the funniest thing b/c I'm working on slowing down his rushed speech.

Okay, so y'all had to be there.

I also heard him say something that I've missed hearing him say. This morning, the teacher fried some bacon so when J320 walked into the classroom, he shouted, "BACONBACON!" So awesome.

P320 was on his game, too! He didn't want many of his snacks but then he kept reaching for my hand and "throwing" it towards something (that's his way of communicating that he wants you to get something that's closer to you to give to him; kinda like an extension of his hand). Turns out he wanted N320s Chex Mix.

Mi' Lee A loves Snack Time with the kiddos!

No comments: