Sunday, March 09, 2008

Fake Weekday

In my haste to leave work yesterday, I left my textbook in my office! I couldn't believe it. I was eager to leave b/c I had been looking forward to a Souplantation date with BF all week. So I went to Little Kid School today and "broke in." The last time I went to school on a Saturday, I set the corridor alarm off. Thankfully, a squad of policemen didn't show up (on second thought, that's not good either).

Today, I went back and didn't set the alarm off. I hypothesized that if I didn't do something, I wouldn't trip the alarm and sure enough, I was right. Well, I'll find out on Monday if I really did get out scot-free.

Anywho, I took my sweet time getting my textbook and gathering some therapy materials to modify for one of my kiddos. Afterwards, I stopped at the nearby Costco.

As I was waiting in line, I glanced over at the large cart next to me and had a lame, random thought -- why would they use one of those large carts if the stuff they were buying didn't span the whole cart? Oh, wait, j/k -- they have 3 tables laying across the cart... Then my visual track went from the cart up to the people, and I was like, OMG! It's one of my 320s with his parents! :)

It was M320 (who is sOOOOoOOo awesome to work with). He is the highest functioning of the 320s that I work with. I especially look forward to working with him b/c our sessions are ridonkulously rewarding for me. He ceases to amaze me with his vocabulary, and he practically absorbs the language and communication skills that we work on.

I'm not sure if he was confused or thrown off b/c he is used to seeing me in the school context, but he seemed a little bit shy and hesitant to say hello to me. I'm sure it also didn't help that when I introduced myself to his parents, I gave them my first name, when M320 calls me by my last name (and then Mom kept telling him what my first name was...when he doesn't have the first and last name concept down yet -- I'm working on it though!). Anywho, his father said to me, "We noticed that [M320] is talking so much more now." Whether I have contributed to that or not -- I'm taking it and running with it!!!

But really, parents of kiddos with special needs are the ones that should get more recognition.

No comments: