Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hormones

I often allude to the fact that my kiddos are in a "funny" stage in life. They are growing so fast that sometimes, I feel like they've sprouted an inch since I last saw them a week ago. For many, the hormones are raging...and most of the overly-confident boys aren't afraid to make comments about girls around me. I try my best to remain professional and mature, but sometimes, I can barely stifle my laugh.

This morning, I saw my two boys CV and DA. I hadn't seen CV in two weeks so I entered my typical teacher-conversation-mode:
Me to CV: Well, hello! I haven't seen you in forever!
CV: Yeah, maestra! You got any food? I'm hungry!
Me: No.
CV: Any gum?
Me: No! What did I tell you about coming in here hungry?
DA: I'm hyper! I ate breakfast!
Me: You're hyper?
[Great! DA is naturally very hyper! When I first started seeing him, I seriously thought he had undiagnosed ADHD.]
Me: Well, I'm glad to hear that you ate breakfast for once, but not exactly thrilled that it made you hyper.
Me turning to DA: Well, I saw you last week alone since [CV] wasn't here.
CV to DA: You did? You saw her alone?
DA says with a totally suggestive tone and facial expression: Yeah, A-LONE.
[And he flashes the hugest, goofiest, toothy smile.]

I was like EEK!! Stop! Way to get me fired over false allegations of sexual harassment!

Moving forward, I must've told them "stop" at least 10 times today! I had them working on formulating sentences and at least half of them ended with, "...in bed" or something totally PG-13. When the session ended, my grad assistant turned to me and said, "I don't know how you deal with them. I was ready to kill them for you!"

Later on in the day, J320 walked by with TCL so I joined them so I could further confer with TCL about my insane session with N320 today. The bell rang and so tons of kids started filling the hallways. Out of my nervous nature, I slightly extended my hand out so that J320 could hold onto my pinky for security. I never know how he is going to react to the typical kiddos. Sometimes, he gets so excited that he squeals, jumps, and takes off running. TCL was holding his other hand, when he suddenly let go, gently swung his arm around my neck...and pulled me in as if he was going to kiss me!

Again, I completely and immaturely freaked out and ran to the other side of TCL! Then it took me a few minutes to recuperate from laughing so hard!

No comments: