Sunday, July 22, 2007

Nash's First Birthday

We celebrated FBM's younger son's first birthday! It's been exciting watching how this big little potato is growing. BF and I were there when his Mom and Dad brought the kiddo home from the hospital. A year later, the kid is up and running every chance he gets. BF reported that he said his first 3 words, just a few days shy of his 1st birthday. Woo-hoo!

(Y'know I can't turn off the informal SLP assessments.)

On Saturday, BF and I got to FBM's house "on time" for the first time (not early and not Filipino time, either). I bet BF that although we were on time, we would still be the first to get there, hence the set-up crew as usual. I usually don't mind...except when it's Africa hot. I know I'm ridiculous; I am such a whiner when it's anything 80 degrees and above. Sure enough, we were the first ones there, but for the first time, the set-up crew also consisted of FBM's brother.

Point of clarification: I didn't do much setting up this time. I did do my usual Albertson's run, except this time, I had to purchase five 20 lb bags of ice. I was seriously sore the next day from carrying 3 bags across the long driveway. How weak is that?

I have to say, FBM knows how to throw a Big People party and a Small Potato Party. They rented a huge water slide, and the kids were on it nonstop until the sun set. I marveled at how little kids can be so friendly, trusting, and carefree. I think none of the 10+ kids knew all of the other kids, yet after 1 or 2 runs, they were homies, helping each other up the ladder, holding hands and sliding down together, etc. How easily the friendships formed. Kids are such a trip.

After it got dark, half of the Big People stayed super late. BF and I stayed until about 2:30 AM until I called it quits. I was surprised I was able to stay up past 11:30 P.M. for once...then I got up to go to church and had the hardest time concentrating b/c I was so darn sleepy...

No comments: