Saturday, July 21, 2007

Future Employment

Last week, I received the much anticipated news of where I will be working in September! Like any new job, I'm excited but nervous. Since then, I've received some interesting tidbits, as well as had many random thoughts.
  1. For the first time in my life, I have already mentally spent my paycheck before receiving it. This evening, bro and I took a short walk along Venice Beach and passed a restaurant that I often curiously peer into. Last time, bro said he brings his clients there often. So I was confused when he said, "Will you take me there one day?" I said, "Of course; when I get my first paycheck." Realizing that it's the principle, I started mentally RSVPing for September. We'll be sitting on the "patio" with the sun setting...after we've done a few successful rounds on the rings. :) Or maybe we'll take a raincheck on the rings.
  2. For the past 2 days, I attended an ABA/DTI training to work with individuals with autism. Twice, 2 individuals said in response to where I will be working, "OOhh....Those kids are horrible. I mean, your kids are fine, but it's the other kids that are bad." One said that fights break out everyday. I don't know what I was smoking when I tried to play it off cool by saying that I interned in The Wood. I guess it impressed her b/c she immediately said, "Oh, well then you'll be fine."
  3. Then she added the disclaimer, "As long as you don't do yard duty, you'll be fine." That is if I can get out of it. I've only broken up two fights in my life. In retrospect, I don't know what I was smoking (again) when I did that.
  4. Junior High is such an awkward time. It's that transition between primary and secondary education. The kiddos are taking the first steps in finding and defining themselves. They begin forming their own opinions and questioning authority. They begin realizing that they are their own persons. They begin to realize the power they hold in their own words and actions. Kids redefine what's cool and what's not.
  5. Going to speech or language therapy certainly isn't cool. BF said, 'The trick to working with JH kids is for them to think you're cool.' Then he added, "Dang, you're screwed!"
  6. Will the kids really think I'm lame? OMG, did I really just ask that? I sound like I regressed to my insecure junior high self. How uncool is that?
  7. At the same time, I think new jobs are always about finding and defining myself, too. It'll be an ongoing process that we'll share together (unbeknownst to my future kiddos).

1 comment:

Mark Reisch said...

Ha yeah gettin a new job.... Seems to be a lot of that going around these days. =)

You'll be fine. (hey where have I heard that before? LOL)

I wouldn't pass up on the rings if I were you. ;)

Good luck!