Friday, June 30, 2006

Retired!

Imagine dedicating 32 years of your life to the same corporation. That must be what it's like when you've found your career at your ideal work place. For 30+ years, BF's mom worked her way up to Tax Director of IHOP. However, today she retired. Her position was so big that they actually hired 2 people to replace her, each with multiple degrees and credentials. She never even got her CPA. What a woman.

Funny because I can't see her as being the power woman b/c she's so sweet and gentle. I only catch glimpses of the aggression when she tells stories of how "mean" she is at work. My jaw drops everytime she tells a story ending up with a MAN crying.

That made me think, too ~ must women be that aggressive to work her way up to a high-power position? I'm certainly under that impression. Within the law firms, women HAVE to be aggressive or else the other women and men will eat them alive. My uncle's niece, an attorney, once told me that she found being an Asian and a woman in a law firm was one of the biggest challenges she faced in her life. I truly believe that, having witnessed how most of the women in the law firms I worked at have been. The unaggressive ones left.

As cheesy as it sounds, I also believe passion plays a large hand. If a woman isn't passionate about her work, she might as well call it quits already. Now, BF's mom was definitely passionate about her work. Heck, she LOVED doing everyone's tax return "for fun." Now that's almost insane. Not to mention, IHOP was an amazing corporation to work for.

Too bad she doesn't get a lifetime of free meals to IHOP. If she did, I'd totally assume her identity!

Anywho, BF and I visited his parents today, and I saw them one last time before they moved to Las Vegas to retire. BF actually decided literally at the last minute to go with them and come back on Sunday. I would've loved to go, but I actually prefer the coooOOooool refreshing Kern River Water over the 110 degree LV weather!

Happy retirement to the BF's parents!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful. I wonder if as an SLP there will be a need to be so aggressive? Since the field is dominsted by women it seems less likely, especially since it is combined with the category of "helping field." But to get to be a director of a dept or clinic? Maybe....