Sunday, May 04, 2008

Good Deed?

Shortly after BF reluctantly left for a client meeting, I went on a walk around the neighborhood. He called me a little after I started off and he warned me with the usual, "be careful." I never think much as I feel like our neighborhood is relatively safe; there are always many (decent-looking) people strolling, running, or walking their doggies.

Suddenly, I saw two loose terriers. I managed to grab a hold of one but the other ran across the street. I called the number on the tag but nobody picked up so I stood there, clueless as to what to do. BF called back but he didn't have any good solutions either. Right then, I saw a gentleman walking his (beautiful) labrador.

"Excuse me! Do you know whose dog this is?" The man oriented to me, saw the dog, and his body language exuded an, "oh great" message.

"Yeah, I know whose dog that is. It's this corner house--" and he pointed to the house just across the street. I told him that the other ran away. The man brought me over to the corner house and yelled over the fence 3 times for the terrier's owner. Finally, we heard someone respond. The gentleman said, "your dogs got loose again." The guy said, "oh, I'll meet you in the front." I am so glad the gentleman was still with me b/c this guy looked CREEPY!!!! (Maybe this is what BF means whenever he tells me "be careful" when I go on walks!) I gave him his terrier and he literally dropped the dog into the "pen" and mumbled, "I don't know how they keep getting out; I have them penned up." The place looked like a junkyard -- very contradicting to the rest of the neighborhood where houses are easily a million dollars (mind you, we "just" rent a condo down the street from these homes).

Afterwards, I turned to the gentleman and said, "Thanks for helping me. I seriously don't know what I would've done with the dog. Now, can I pet your dog?" Of course he let me and introduced me to his beautiful labrador, Abby. We walked back across the street and he said quietly, "My wife and I don't think those dogs are going to survive much longer there. They keep getting out and those people aren't fit to care for dogs," and briefly described in a few seconds the history of how those dogs got there.

Now I'm not so sure I did a good deed by returning the dog to the owner that doesn't care. Later, I told my bro, "I rescued a dog!" and told him all that transpired and he said, "maybe you should report the owners to animal cruelty." :(

P.S. The other yorky somehow made it back into its yard b/c when I returned the terrier I found, I saw the other one in the yard already.

P.P.S. The house (with owners that Bro says I should also report to Animal Cruelty) with the duckies got more duckies!

No comments: