Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tuesday Boys Series Continued

Yet another Tuesday with the boys. I didn't get to see my 7th period troublemakers, but I did dutifully see my 2nd period troubleteens.

I wasn't expecting them to be actin' fewls but holy snikeys were they ever! I saw D during 1st period, and he nicely asked, "are you going to call us today?" "Yes..." as we walked past each other. He yelled after me, "Have food ready!" I yelled back even louder, "Bring your own food!"

The two boys barged in demanding food, and I lectured them about how many times I have to lecture them about eating breakfast and not expecting me to feed them (last time, they looked like they seriously would have given me $50 to go to McDonald's for them). I could barely get them to do work! Today seriously took the cake. D started smacking his lips loud while he sucked away on a fiery cinnamon ball thingy and leaning back in his chair. He was really testing me...

D: What would you do if I fell backwards?
Me: Nothing. I don't usually scream.
D: Well, what would you do? Would you call 911?
Me: I'd tell C____ to perform CPR on you.
C: WHAT! NO WAY!
D: Seriously, what would you do if I fell backwards?!
Me: I already told you! I'd tell C___ to perform CPR on you!
D & C verbally protest.
As if I haven't answered him like 100 times, D asks again: C___ doesn't know how. What would you do?
What did he want me to say? Me: I'd tell Mr. D____, the custodian, to perform CPR on you!
D & C: AH! GROSS!

Finally, that ended the mature conversation.

Later on (more like a few minutes later), they ask me again if they could get on the internet and onto MySpace. I explain to them that there is no way; we go through this every other session. D says, "C'mon, just let me get onto MySpace! I'll put you on my Top 4!"

Please don't do me any favors! I certainly don't need barely teenage boys in my network! (For the record, the boys aren't keen enough to find my private profile; D still can't remember my name and although C sort of knows my last name, he doesn't know my first name.)

I was seriously reaching desperation, thinking that I wouldn't get any work out of them for the first time ever. Fortunately, I was successful at pulling the typical routine that gets them both working -- I force/trick C into working so that D will join in too b/c he always wants attention (his reinforcer). Our conversation veers a bit; we got to talking about natural "cataclysms" and again, they stop working. I was about to give up on the dang lesson (defining vocab based on context) when I FINALLY accidentally discovered the right reinforcer for today -- we were talking about China (i.e., earthquake, one-child policy, poverty) and when I brought up poverty and beggars, I told them how I taught BF how to say in Chinese, "go away." Their eyes and ears perked up like mad, and they begged and begged for me to tell them how to say it. I said, "finish this worksheet AND get all the answer right and then I'll tell you."

Dude, they finished the last problem literally right when the bell rang. "Okay! Done! Tell us!"

"Sorry, you guys didn't finish before the bell rang. If you hadn't messed around so much, we could have gotten through it all and with time to spare and then I would've told you."

They left mad (I heard the typical, "that's messed up!"), but whatever. After all, I'm the one whose a smidgen more (mature and) in control...!

No comments: