Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Another Tuesday: Typical yet Not

I really struggled today to keep up with the crazy pace; quite a few unexpected things came up during the work day. Despite having my usual cup of coffee before Little Kid School started, I still wasn't very alert. Fortunately, That Crazy Lady always has a good pot of coffee brewed, when she's there. I stopped by before hours to re-cap with her on yesterday's events, since she was MIA. During the re-cap, J320's mom called to say that she was dropping him off at the back gate and asked if we could come out and get him.

We rushed out and said hello to mom and good morning to J320. During the transition, Mom said good-bye to J320, and they gently bumped foreheads to say good-bye. Then J320 gently kissed mom on her forehead. It was such a beautiful and marvelous act of love between mother and child. It really warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face.

(It's all the more marvelous b/c J320 is often not very gentle. When he gets aggressive or throws a tantrum, it is NOT pretty! Things can fly and fists can land in your face or on your back. I actually had a very interesting session with him yesterday. B/c zero demands were placed on him for the first 3.5 hours of his day, he looked at me like I was the devil's spawn when I called him for speech. He threw two of the hugest tantrums literally two feet away from me...but not once did he hit me! I was absolutely floored!!!! He even towered over me but without physical contact, I simply directed him to sit back down and he did!!! I was amazed and proud of how far we have come in terms of behavior management. I couldn't believe how well I managed it all and remained in control...much more, I couldn't believe that he settled down enough to comply. He actually head butted his aide last week and walked away like nothing happened, while his aide held his head in pain for a while after.) Sigh -- just thinking of J320 makes me laugh.

Afterwards, I hit the ground running with my usual rowdy Tuesday boys. When I think of my Tuesday boys, I just laugh and shake my head. I was so tired by the end of the day (despite having double the amount of coffee) that I had to take a power-nap before my Big Kid School. Thankfully, our instructor is soOOoOOo laid-back. She even brought her 3-month old baby girl for the first hour and a half. We all couldn't stop gazing, oohing, and ahhing at the adorable little pumpkin! It was such a lovely sound hearing the baby girl softly coo and cry.

Today, I experienced, saw, and heard such beautiful interactions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your re-caps and stories!