Sunday, April 13, 2008

Update: Spring Break Gone Wild! Not....

Last week was my Spring Break...and it already feels so far away! It was incredibly busy for me, but I certainly had my moments of R & R.

The break began with me visiting Gramma with my bro and youngest aunt. On Monday, I was completely out of commission with a uber-gnarly 24-hour bug. I was literally fainting every few minutes...sparing other details. On Tuesday and Wednesday, I went to Big Kid School Supervision meetings to obtain clinical hours, since I missed class the night before.

On Thursday morning, I headed off to Monterey for an SLP Convention. Bro dropped me off at my associate's house in the morning, and then we headed to the LBC Airport. The flight was short and I managed to review some ABA terms. When we arrived, we went straight to Hotel Pacific to check-in. I chose this place based on associate's recommendation and more importantly because BF was flying in that evening to spend the nights with me!

The moment I stepped into the room, I opened up the doors to the balcony. I can't describe how refreshing and rejuvenating it felt to let the fresh air in and see nature's beauty. (Am I trying to write a cheesy memoir?) This is a partial view from our "private" balcony; we could see the ocean in the horizon. We stayed on the top floor suite (of a 4-story complex). Every morning, I woke up to the sound of sea otters "barking" from the Monterey Bay. It was actually a funny sound to wake up to. Certainly better than dump trucks in L.A.

I quickly snarfed down a small lunch and then headed to the Convention. I attended an excellent afternoon workshop on APD, and then BF called and said he was here! I gave hi the address to Hotel Pacific, but he ended up at Portola Plaza (where I would have liked to stay and where the Convention was). At first, he sounded peeved on the phone b/c he insisted I told him to come to the Portola, but then he was happy when I walked out of Portola just in time to bump into him! Such perfect timing. :)

Sidenote: the Portola is just as lovely. The next day, we strolled through the plaza way and I did the tourist thing of taking lots of pictures.


For that evening, since BF had worked literally until the last second, we didn't go out as planned for dinner. We leisurely walked a few blocks and ate at Characters Bar & Grill, just for a low-key, yummy dinner. Afterwards, we headed back with food coma. As I was winding down, BF went to the corner mom-&-pop market and bought me Ben & Jerry's ice-cream! I really wanted to go with him (out of curiosity) but he insisted that I stay back and relax since I was technically on vacation. That was sweet.

On Friday, I attended an all day workshop on working with Asperger's Synrome. It was a phenomenal presentation! I quickly rushed back to the hotel at the beginning of my 3-hour lunch to see if BF was still there. Much to my dismay, he had already left for the Monterey Bay Aquarium. (I was so jealous!) We spoke shortly on the phone, and he reported on the sea turtles. :) He saw three of them! He took lots and lots of pictures for me and even a mini video clip. (I was in utter disbelief that that's really the shade of green that there shell is!)

At first, I was bummed about missing him, but then I was okay. I ate lunch alone on the private balcony, soaked in more of the fresh air, looked out to the bay, and listened to the water fountain below me. I rushed back for a poster board session that was lame...and then I went out behind Portola and explored Old Fisherman's Wharf. I went into a couple souvenir shops but didn't really see anything. I noted a few dining places for dinner though. By that time, BF had headed back to the hotel so I went back and we met along the plaza way for Taco Bell. Then he headed off to a bad movie and I to the Convention.

After the Convention, I walked back to the hotel and was pleasantly surprised by BF! He knew how much I wanted to go to the Aquarium -- and how much I love sea turtles and otters -- so he got me FOUR stuffed animals! :) That was so thoughtful!

We freshened up and then headed to Old Fisherman's Wharf for one of the most amazing dinners at Old Fisherman's Grotto. Our dinner was soOoOOo good! We received excellent service and had a full meal -- from cocktails to appetizers to dinner (skipped dessert b/c we were too stuffed). We took our time walking back to the hotel...and even stopped at the Portola so BF could get another drink while I chillaxed a moment.

We were so corny; we stayed up late watching back to back episodes of "10 Years Younger" and "What Not to Wear" until we fell asleep. When we woke up, we both enjoyed breakfast/coffee on the balcony (listening to the otters bark from the distance). Shortly after, we headed to the airport and came back home.

It was really a very pleasant mini-vacation for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds fabulous!!!! I am so glad your vacation ended up having some very vacation-like moments, despite all the work you did too!!!!

Chanel said...

Spring Break rules, regardless of illnesses and take-home work!

You only get Spring Breaks when you work in the schools! ;)