Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Hump Day Happy Hour

Bro and I chatted when I was on my way home and he asked me, "What are you doing tonight?" I said in a no-nonsense tone, "Watching America's Next Top Model at 8." He said, "Ai-ya! Come with me to happy hour at the Daily Grill!"

How could I resist? The way he asked me sounded kind of suspicious though so I asked him, "Who else is going?" He said, "My friend Jillian is starting a new job as [bro's former boss'] assistant." So I came home and chillaxed a bit before Bro picked me up.

I had a wild day with the kiddos so I was relieved to be home and excited about happy hour. Crazy DA and CV really tested me today. I had to let my alter-ego, Ms. Chanel, take over and lay the rules down. BF called in the midst of the mayhem b/c, sparing many details, DA had dialed BF's number on my cell. BF called twice, thinking I must have had an emergency, so I had to pick up on the second call. I told him that everything was okay, and then stopped and pointed directly at CV and said, "WORK," and then looked and pointed at DA and said, "WORK." BF was like, "What is going on??" "I'll call you back after." Right when I hung up, DA said with a devilish smile, "You're mad huh?"

If I was a cartoon character, I'd have the steam blowing out of my ears! I also know how DA is, so I couldn't give him the satisfaction of upsetting me. Instead, I looked at him, ignored his question, and took his picture that he had so politely asked me to laminate. [Bro later said, "you should have taken his picture and tore it up right in front of him!" LOL That would have been too cruel, though!] "I will hold onto this until next week." He was stunned and then said, "What! That's messed up. And I told people that we were friends." Friends?!?! LOLOL I couldn't hold a grudge.

Still, he was acting up and not wanting to do work so I ignored him and helped CV. The kid got even crazier. All that kept running through my mind was how I've been using the behavior management strategies that I use with my 320s, with these crazy ones! I even tried a little "Quiet Sitting" stint. DA was at my board screwing around and then he turned around and asked, "Can I go to the bathroom?" Fully suspecting that he was trying to ditch speech, I said, "If you can sit down in your chair for ONE minute, then you can go." He lingered at the board for a few more seconds and then said, "I really need to go!" "Well, as soon as you sit down for one minute, then you can go." He sat down (small victory for me)...for probably 5 seconds and then he got up again. "Oh, I guess you're not going to the bathroom." Somehow, my persistence (and pre-ABA skills) paid off; I plowed through with his craziness and got him to do a page of work!

But before he left, he gave me and my other students a "gift," if you will. He politely asked if he could put this picture up on my board (I put up pictures that my students draw for me). I said, "yes" without really looking at it.
After he put it up, he said, "This is to scare all of your other students." I thought, Great! I doubt it'll scare my other students, but it definitely scares me!!

And that was only my second session of the morning (the first being with J320 who kept kicking me during Quiet Sitting). By the end of the day, I was sure as heck ready for happy hour.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When Bro and I got to Daily Grill, he introduced me to the superstar of the evening. I was expecting a girl, but apparently, I had misheard my bro and stood corrected when I introduced myself to a guy.

Lots of good food and drinks were to be had. Bro's former assistant asked me, "Do you like coming to these things?" I truthfully told her that I kind of do b/c 1) complimentary delicious food (and drinks) and 2) it's very entertaining to chat with people "in the industry" as an outsider. It's easy for me to strike up a conversation with most of the people b/c socializing is practically a pre-requisite skill in the industry. As for me, I can talk anyone's ears off as that is my "specialty."

As I snarfed down delicious appetizers, my bro and I exchanged little laughs in-between our social exchanges with other people. Like when he couldn't remember the name of the girl with a mole. He kept telling me that she had a very diva-ish, celebrity-like name, "like Shakira or something" he said. The funny thing is that the girl came over and was like, "OMG! I haven't seen you in so long!" Bro introduced me so I took that as my cue to ask what her name was. Turns out her name is very similar to Madonna. Then she totally called him out on not remembering her name but he totally tried to play it off. I don't think she was convinced...as I quietly laughed to myself!

Then there was the annoying drunk guy who was crashing every social exchange for a free round. He kept bumping into us, stepping on our feet, and jabbing his fork into our delicious dishes. Thank goodness he didn't ask to sample my hazelnut crusted mahi mahi; I would've had to throw him down!

Afterwards, bro asked if I had fun. Of course I did. I always do with bro!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must really be getting ready for the leap, b/c I am getting kind of excited to work with crazy kids like yours!

Good for you for bringing Chanel out when needed!

Happy Hour with Best Bro ever sounds fun!