Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Unsolved Mysteries -- Solved!

On the real, I've been a bit unsure for 28 years about what city I was born in. My Mom occasionally tells me with hesitation, but then I only remember that it's a city that begins with an "M" -- was it Montebello or Monterey Park?

When I was still young, my parents joked with differing levels of humor that I was almost adopted away as an infant by a rich female doctor who really wanted a daughter. (Arguments ensue over who was willing to give me up and who insisted on keeping me.) When I was a little older, Mom told me that I was born in a Catholic hospital with very nice nuns...but the hospital closed down later. Dad joked that they didn't tell their friends that I was born in whichever "M" city b/c the city was a bit ghetto at the time (this is the same Dad that once joked to me about how I got my name, "...well, I was looking at this disposable package...").

So I let that all go (and on important applications, I say my birthplace is Montebello). Well, last weekend, Bro found our original birth certificates! The mystery was solved!

Or was it?

When Bro showed me, I exclaimed, "Belvedere?!?! Where the heck is that?" It said L.A. County, but I had never heard of the city, despite living in L.A. County for 25 years. The next day, I found this in Wikipedia:
"Belvedere is a suburban city in Marin County, California, United States. As of the 2000 census, the population was 2,125 and the per-capita income was $113,595, making it the highest income city in California and the 17th highest income place in the United States (1st with a population over 1,000)."
Was I adopted from the rich doctor rather than the rich doctor wanting to adopt me?! =O
  • Bro said, "mmm...i don't think that's the same belvedere, mei."
  • BF said, "Hello! You and your brother look exactly alike! I don't think you were adopted!" Okay, fine.
Then Bro solved the mystery by mapquesting the address of the former hospital/clinic...and said:

"OH MY GOD! You're a chola! East LA!!!"

Maybe that's why my Dad's favorite movie is, "Born in East L.A."!

Poor BF has heard me singing for a few days now, "I was --- born in East L.A.! I was --- born in East L.A.!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a good thing I just recently learned what a chola is from one of my patients! I can't believe my sweet BSILF is a chola in disguise! You ghetto girl!