Thursday, June 07, 2007

Last Week of Rehab

My last week of rehab had quite a sobering effect on me. After 11 weeks of flying by the seat of my panties and learning through trial-and-error, asking dumb questions (which I am particularly a G at), and researching (what did we used to do w/o the internet?), I realized how much I've learned this past quarter...and how much more I need to learn.

It was really scary yet exhilarating for doctors and patients' family members to speak to me as if I was the professional (did they know that when I introduced myself as Graduate Student, it meant I did not have my degree nor license yet?). But my MC was right -- the more I speak, the more confidence I gain, and the more I realize that I actually do know what I'm talking about. Well, for the most part.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On Tuesday, many of us went to Grand Lux for a good-bye lunch for me and the PT Student. It was a little hectic for me (as are many of my days) b/c I had crammed all of my rounds in the AM and was unexpectedly expected at a family conference right after lunch. After that, I zoomed over to school for my Oral Defense...which I thankfully passed with a bit of head-nodding in agreement to my own statements.

On Wednesday, I couldn't believe I only had one more day and I couldn't wait until Thursday. On Thursday, I couldn't believe it was my last day. It was like any other one of my "bad" days...where I made one mistake after another. i.e., I misunderstood one not-the-brightest-crayon-in-the-box doc for saying he'd take out my patient's G-tube instead of trach. i.e., I explained aspiration precautions to my patient, which sent him almost into an anxiety attack (suddenly, he could "feel" himself silently aspirating). A few other mishaps took place, but fortunately, I walked out at 4 P.M. with an "A" in this chapter/quarter of my life and felt proud of myself for doing the best that I could have.

In celebration, I stopped by Carl's Jr. to buy BF a 6 dollar burger (after all, it was Burger Day and as BF swears, "all good things happen on Burger Day") and myself some fried zucchinis (I've decided that those are one of my favorite foods). Soon after, FBIL, Guh, and I went to the Walt Disney Concert Hall to listen to the Los Angeles Master Chorale in Sounds of the City. It was very interesting, relaxing, and wonderful. I think I once told my bro that someday, I want to get season tickets to the concert hall. Wouldn't that be nice?

That night, I got home and completely crashed. I fell asleep with the thought of graduating the next day...!

No comments: