Friday, June 29, 2007

I did it!

  1. I dropped off my application with my future employer! It's weird to be sought out for a job, rather than the other way around. A few years ago, I thought I'd be working behind a desk at a dead-end job forever. Today, I am looking forward to a career full of excitement, challenges, and great experiences. I haven't decided which population(s) I would like to work with; that will come in good time. For now, I'm just going through the formal application process (i.e., rule out felonies, infectious diseases, etc.). Here's hoping my Credential posts soon, too.
  2. I am on the last stretch of my 5-day Reset diet! I never thought I could do this. For reals, I have NEVER dieted in my life, let alone drink shakes to replace meals. I have tried several times in my life to eat healthier, but my self-control and will-power is relatively nonexistent. Even when I watched BF do the Reset diet a few weeks ago, I felt so sorry for him and indulged in comfort foods for him. That's what a dedicated junk food junkie I am.

There are several clarifications and elaborations to #2:
  • Verbal Commitment. Now I see what psychologists refer to as the power in verbal commitment. FILs insisted on giving me a grad gift, but I did not want anything (compliments of the Asian humility gene), so we agreed on the USANA Reset "program." Since Monday, I have had a shake (with tons of fiber) to replace a meal, a nutritional snack bar in between meals, a cup of strawberries, and a cup of veggies (cauliflower or carrots). The shakes are actually pretty tasty (strawberry, French vanilla, or dutch chocolate) and I already love eating fruit and vegetables so it's not so bad. It's the hunger pains that are hard to deal with.
  • Diet? As far as I know, this reset diet is not a diet designed to lose weight (although it can happen for some). For me, it is truly what it is marketed as -- to reset people on a healthier diet. It's weird, but I have lost cravings for junk food. This is not to say that I don't get hungry or starving throughout the day, but the weird thing is that I really haven't craved for junk food or any other food I typically eat. The only thing I want to eat is blanched cauliflower. LOL I just hope I can stick to low-glycemic meals and snacks and continue to eat healthy to lower this dang cholesterol of mine.
  • Exhaustion. I am a total high-glycemic, junk-food junkie. So when I get tired, I eat (usually junk food). Well, there ain't anything to eat when I'm hungry, so (psychologically?) I get physically weak. I.e., We went bowling on Tuesday and my first game was pretty good, but I felt like my ball weighed twice as much as it usually does. Next game, I kept dropping my ball. During the last game, I could barely lift my ball and kept dropping it. For the first time in my bowling career, I actually told BF (at the beginning of the 3rd game) that I didn't want to bowl after that because I was so weak! We usually bowl 4-5 games at the least and not once have I ever complained about my ball being heavy and wanting to stop bowling! Back to my point -- the only thing I can do when I'm tired and hungry is drink water.
  • Bloated Hippo. It is dang hard to drink at least 64 oz. of water! I am supposed to drink between 64 - 80 oz. I don't think I've reached 64 oz. any day. Yesterday, I must've really skimped on the water b/c I woke up feeling like I had a mad hangover. Did I party last night and not even know it?
  • Temptations. I distinctly recall that when BF was resetting his body, I did not taunt nor tempt him (he lamented once about how agonizing it was to see me eating pita chips when he couldn't eat anything, so after that, I ate out of view). He, on the other hand, acts like a 6 y/o! "Nyah nyah, I'm hungry and I can eat whatever I want!" was what I heard one night before I crashed from exhaustion. He also seriously forgets that I'm on this diet and will be like, "Stop by Jack-in-the-Box and get me a Jumbo Jack and onion rings, and why don't you get those 2 tacos that you like so much?" Not funny! The worst: "If you're so hungry, just tell me what you want right now and I'll go get it. Right now. Ice-cream?" Dude! I think I deserve 2 gold stars for not only making it through this diet without cheating, but for putting up with intentional taunts!
  • Okay, truth be told, he does that as a test of my will b/c he knows that I can be pretty stubborn, yet have no will-power when it comes to food so in a sadistic way, he is just helping me get to the finish line. At least that's what I've psyched myself out to think.

No comments: