Saturday, December 10, 2005

Delayed Response

Now that I'm in school, I think and talk in terms of Speech-Language Pathology. I feel like such a nerd. I love it.

i.e. The other day, my bro asked me, "you know what the Word of the Day was? [From Dictionary.com]... it's logorrhea! Nancy and I have been using that word all day! Hahahahahaha!"
I said, "What?! That's a *normal* word!?! Logorrhea's a technical word for somebody like with aphasia!"

And here I thought I was all cool and a smarty-panties, having a specialized vocabulary.

i.e. #2, my bro called me this AM and said, "[blahblahblah] ok?"
I paused for like 3 seconds and then said, "uh, ok."
"Did you hear me?"
"Yes. You said [blahblahblah]...and something about Grandma."
"Oh I thought you didn't hear me b/c your response was delayed."
I said, "that's called a delayed response!" (after like another 2 seconds. jk)

*point of self-diagnosing: I think I have a minor case of ADD.

Anywho, I'm still in denial that the quarter's over. You never want to get too comfortable and lazy over break b/c then it's harder to pick up the pace when the quarter starts again. I talk as if I'm like in a Ph.D. program or something, when I'm not. :(

Speaking of Ph.D. programs, my HS friend just called me! We haven't spoken in 8 years! Unless you count the very random time when my cousin, a friend (at that time), and I were standing on a corner in SF, and she whizzed by w/ her BF in her BF's (at that time) sports car, and I hear her yell, "Cher Her!" (pronounced, "cher hair," a weird nickname that a family friend that we swear is in the closet, named me).

Well, she calls me and says, "Cher Her? OMG, your voice sounds so different!!!!" Really? If anything, I thought maybe my voice is slightly deeper now (with age). "No! Your voice is even higher now!" What! I didn't think my voice could get even higher than it was in HS!!! But yah, so we shot the breeze for about 20 minutes. She recalled how we used to slack off so much our senior year and play MASH all period in newspaper. But a Ph.D.!! Wow, Dr. Ren!

I told her, y'know, I'm just over at ___LA. No big whoop. But then I told her, y'know, I used to not think much about this school, but considering that only the state universities offer this program, and the competition is insane, etc. etc., I am grateful to be in this program.

This is a small tribute to my profs. I truly feel that I am getting a great (affordable) education. For instance, I was talking to a brilliant atty yesterday at work, and I realized that I have learned a lot within the past year. Again, I was like label-dropping. "Oh! I know, you mean your nephew was diagnosed with Developmental Apraxia of Speech?"

Anywho, it's great to be on Winter Break (although I keep bringing up school), despite having to work and stress about year-end reviews and hopefully bonuses. I'm fortunate to work in this prestigious law firm that really takes care of their (lowly) secretaries. However, it'll be nice to be my own boss in a few years. It's not cool when you ask for a vacation day (to study for finals) and they turn you down b/c the firm needs you to be there to crank out the big, fat year-end bills that will contribute to the million dollar bonuses for the senior partners. Oh, and to answer phones and make copies.

Well, I'm off to pretend I'm a rich man's wife. Going to the gym in my velour outfit and then to Costco to shop for some healthy food and then go out to a fancy not-so-healthy dinner in 90210 with wonderful BF's wonderful family. It's great to be on Winter Break.

No comments: