Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Work Update

Site #2 has gotten better but it still blows. I am still experiencing moments of outrage, but I've gotten better at complaining less and becoming more resilient to all the negative energy and karma that comes my way. Every week, I feel like I've completed yet another stage of emotional development and achieved some type of zen. Yesterday, I was determined to not let anything bring me down, even when Work Roomie got mad or annoyed at me twice over stupid things.

Today, I attended an IEP at Site #2 and left soon after for my 320 luvies. Yesterday, the County teacher decided that he'd bring our kiddos with autism to Target for a special holiday shopping trip. I met them there and had the best time ever -- probably the best work day since October 24th, when I began at Site #2. The kiddos shopped around for ornaments and decorations with the help of their paraeducators. After hanging out with half of them, I went to look for the other half. One, T320, was sitting in a cart so I asked his paraeducator if I could take him around to help me shop for toiletries. ;)

I had such a wonderful time with this little one. I pushed him around Target, laughing inside about how people must think this little Hispanic kid is like my adopted son or something. We went up and down a few aisles, picking out items he liked and items that I needed. I did my usual nerdy language-eliciting stuff while we picked out candles ("oooo, do you want to smell? What does it smell like?"), shopped for Christmas decorations, and looked at toys. Towards the end, the high school kiddos with severe autism that I served over the summer met up with us, too! I was so excited to see them! I don't know if they really remembered me, but they didn't appear to not recognize me. My favorite one that I think about every so often said "w'sup" to me and gave me pounds. He even flashed me the deuces when he had to say good-bye. Too awesome.

Afterward, we went to the the Galleria where I had another mini-reunion with the other high school severe autism class. I hung out some more with my kiddos before I had to leave for a workshop. I snuck in quick retail therapy and bought a few extra special somethings from Victoria's Secret. Not only that, but the two cute pairs of Aldo shoes that I recently ordered arrived today, too! (Thanks to Daddy for a belated birthday gift and early Christmas gift!)

(Even though I have a huge complaint about Site #2 just from today, I think I've done a mighty fine job just highlighting the best of today. On the real, it's hard for someone who's usually not such a Debbie Downer.)

No comments: