Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chi-Town

Sadly, I don't have the time to give updates like I used to. This new assignment has gotten better by the grace of God. I've powered through Kubler-Ross' Cycle of Grief and entered acceptance, but it doesn't mean that I love this site.

I got to get away to Chicago last Wednesday until Saturday (11/19 - 22) for our national SLP convention. The only bumming part was that I didn't have a travel companion. H2B was supposed to come with me, but he ended up not being able to b/c he's been so busy with work. Bro also didn't make it as he's been busy, too. It was my first time traveling alone and I felt so paranoid, adventurous, and independent. Actually, I had a nice transition. Bro dropped me off at the airport last Wednesday and helped me check-in, and I must have triple-checked the steps leading up to the gate (as if I've never traveled before?!? I'm such a dork.).

I was actually with my co-worker/classmate, VS, for the flight and first night. If the flight weren't so turbulent, she would have driven me to drink with the 4-5 hour flight, but we made it through okay. When we landed, we checked in at the Palmer Hilton in Downtown. I planned on spending just that night with her since I had my own room the next few nights (I didn't tell her that H2B ended up not being able to come). Since we got in late, we had dinner at Potter's Lounge in the downstairs lobby.

On Thursday, we woke up early to go to the convention. Conventions are crazy b/c there's a gang of potentially good presentations going on at the same time. The thing that sucked about this one is that they were spread out in two different buildings, so whenever I "shopped" around, it would take me at least 10 minutes of speed-walking to get to the other one if the first one sucked. I chose a bunch of autism ones which were hit and miss. My favorite ones are always the Asperger's Syndrome presentations b/c the presenters and their presentations are very informative, interesting, and entertaining. They're such a wealth of knowledge b/c frankly, I don't think SLPs know enough about how to work with high-functioning autism and Asperger's. It could be so much fun rather than fear of the unknown.

After the convention, we headed back to the hotel and decided on where to eat. I mentioned checking in after dinner but since we wanted to get suggestions for dinner, I approached the front desk before we headed. Thankfully, we did b/c my hotel reservation was completely canceled! I was flipping out inside b/c 1) I could NOT begin to imagine spending all of my nights with VS and 2) I did not tell her that H2B flaked on me! I fervently uttered desperate prayers as I stood waiting to see if there were any rooms. Fortunately, the lady found a room for me.


After that scare, I was ready for a long-anticipated drink. VS and I had dinner at Exchequer, a block away from our hotel. It was a local joint that served "4-star" pizza. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try deep dish pizza b/c VS is a very picky eater (e.g., she looked over at the next table eating deep dish and said, "Just look at that...that looks disgusting!"). She was bad company from the get-go, and I was so ready to be done with dinner and check into my own room before we were even seated (it didn't help that we had to wait half an hour). I had a beer to help me enjoy the evening, but the bad company was a total buzz kill. To add insult to injury, she really needed to go to CVS after dinner, and I couldn't ditch her since my luggage was still in her room.

We got to my room and she finally left me so that I could supposedly wait for H2B to arrive, I took a long, relaxing shower. It was already pretty late so I went to bad after connecting with H2B.

On Friday morning, I took my sweet time getting ready. Instead of waiting in the long Starbucks line in the lobby, I crossed the street and went to the corner one and got my delicious caffeine fix. I hopped on the shuttle to McCormick West and went to a few good and bad presentations. VS met up with me for some...too bad she was still her miserable self; she sat next to me and made loud sarcastic or arrogant comments DURING the presentations. I hate that. A few times in the past, she's pushed me to the edge where I've actually turned to her and said, "shh..." b/c I was so mortified with her behavior and comments!

By the end of the day at the convention, I was really looking forward to spending Friday evening alone. We went back to the hotel and parted ways. I took a long shower to relax and then I put on as many layers as possible and went out into the darkness and cold. It was fun exploring and looking for a place to eat. I ended up eating at Ronny's Steak House (not a real steak house; more like a steak diner) b/c I wanted to hit a local joint.
(My "view" during dinner.)

Afterward, I ventured along State Street and went into Macy's to see their spectacular Christmas tree on the 7th floor and took a few pictures of their renowned holiday window decorations.
I got back to my room around 9:30 took a long shower. I got freaked out when I heard endless knocking on my room door. I kept ignoring it, but after an extra 5 minutes in the shower, I was done. Right when I stepped out, the phone rang. Turns out it was room service! I got an oh-so delicious surprise from FBIL!

(My bro and FBIL are like the best non-traveling companions! They are always sending room service or food deliveries from the comfort of their homes.) Rewind: before I left, FBIL also went to AAA to pick up maps and a tour book so that I could look up places to explore. He is the best FBIL ever!!

On Saturday, I ditched the convention and explored on my own some more. I got my favorite Starbucks drink (but sadly, they didn't get it right like usual...I hate foam!) and headed South on South Michigan, where there were more open sites to see. I passed by the Art Institute of Chicago, stopped by Millenium Park, Soldier Field, and 11th Street Bridge.

Around 10 AM, I had a feeling that I was lost, despite what my mapquest was telling me so I spoke to bro who confirmed that I was going the wrong way if I was looking for Magnificent Mile. I returned to the hotel, checked out, and then headed North towards North Michigan Street. It really ended up closer than a mile...or maybe b/c there were so many spectacular things to see, it didn't feel a mile away.
I headed back to the hotel around 12:30 and stopped by Exchequer again to order 2 ("disgusting") deep dish pizzas to bring home, per bro's suggestion/request. :) I ordered a medium deluxe and a small barbeque chicken. Right when I picked them up, I picked up my luggage and headed to the airport and came home to L.A.

It was so nice to get away for a few days and not think about work...and to kick off the holiday season!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best quote I heard from the convention...

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." ~ Maya Angelou

No comments: