Saturday, November 17, 2007

Proud SLP

I've had an awesome week with my kiddos. Although I didn't see everyone I was supposed to (due to meetings and Veteran's Day holiday), I was soOoOOO proud of many of the ones I did see. The huge difference was seeing some 1:1 or just with one other student.

This week, one of the Study Skills lesson topics was on coffee (how it's grown, the different types, history, etc.). The first time I did this lesson, I wasn't prepared to discuss all the vocabulary in it. I also happened to be seeing one kid 1:1 (whom reminds me of a chipmunk, b/c he is so cute -- round cheeks with bigger front teeth). I don't usually see him individually, but the circumstance presented itself. I was so amazed with how the session went! It made me realize even more how 1) students really can benefit from individual sessions but unfortunately, that is impossible for every child; 2) sometimes my job is really about helping these kids make that connection between word knowledge and world knowledge. One of my favorite parts about working with these kids is when I help them make that connection and their eyes get all big and that proverbial light bulb goes off above their head (sometimes, I get the accompanying exclamation, "Oh!! (I get it!)"

Yesterday, I had VTW see the groups while I chimed in here and there. It's actually quite interesting to see how different our styles are. She has observed me for 2 days out of 3-4 weeks, and I felt comfortable about her seeing all the groups (especially since she saw them all last Friday due to my incident). I laid out my lesson plan for her step by step, including all the vocab I wanted them to discuss, definitions, and examples. I kind of felt bad for my kids b/c she has a different presence so she makes everything sound like a test (even though I always assure my kids that in our sessions, they are never being graded nor tested, but I sure as heck look for improvement to get them out of here. I say that so that they are not afraid to participate and ask questions.). After reading about why grinding coffee a little bit at a time is better, she asked, "What does 'grind' mean?" One of our crazier kids said, "Oh! I know!" We should've expected what came next, but I sure didn't. "It's like the dance!" DUDE! AH! I was grossed out! Haha!

On the other hand, I was pleased that at least he participated b/c on the outside, him and his bro act like they're too cool for this and don't care, but when it comes down to it, they try harder than the rest of the group. They are some of my favorites as well (although I shouldn't really have favorites). Really, it's not hard to impress me and become my favorite. It's simple: 1) don't touch nor steal my stuff, especially after I've asked you to sit down and you don't listen; 2) ask questions and participate with a decent effort; 3) don't come in with a funky attitude and disrespect everyone.

Perhaps I should replace my class rules with those qualifications.

Anywho, we had another group and both of us were dreading calling in one particular kid (he has the ultimate funky attitude). For whatever reason, he didn't show up, and we had an AWESOME session between two kiddos. One is my 1x/month consult kid with a lisp, whom I had honestly just about given up on for several reasons (K3, see the forum), and my other kiddo is a smarty-pants who makes other people feel dumb but she is slowly letting down her guard. First, it was nice to see that the girl was actually having fun, more relaxed, smiling, and not making the other kid feel dumb (also b/c he was equally as smart as her). What really made my day was seeing the consult kid. I seriously almost teared up b/c my lisper whom I had just about given up on, has been working soOOoOoOOO hard since the last time we met! There was such a noticeable difference! I couldn't believe my ears! (And he was so cute b/c when he came in, he said, "I've been working really hard on my 's'.") I am still glowing off of it. :) Okay, I doubt I did much to help him (except keep drilling into him why he needs to step up to the challenge), but something made the difference. His previous 2 SLPs had said in all sincerity, dismiss him due to lack of motivation and progress after more than 5 years of working on his 's,' and I seriously almost did. And then he shows up making significant progress since the last time. It's beautiful.

As my bro said, "What a great way to end the work week!"

No comments: