Thursday, November 15, 2007

My 5 cents

Everyday at work, I crack up over the same thing -- I have kids that are not even on my caseload, stopping by or yelling across the hall, "Hi Miss Ling!" (few students really say my name right; the majority don't even try to remember my name; I've gotten tired of trying to teach them). Some know who I am b/c I call their friends or classmates in. Some stop by to ask why they don't get called in. The best is when my own students stop by to ask when is the next time I'm going to call them in (I was floored today when one kid that I least expected to do that, did. I totally think I bore him in our 1:1 sessions; I feel sorry for my 1:1s -- they get me all to themselves...and I work them hard and don't play games). The SDC kids are always begging me to call them in (pretty much to get them out of class though). In a way, it's all flattering.

Today during my lunch period, a kid who is not on my caseload stopped by. Background info: last week, I made the "mistake" of letting him stay during a tx session; I was a sucker for my SDC girls so when they begged to let this boy stay, I figured, what the hey -- any kid could always benefit from more language stimulation. Well, boy was I wrong. This kid, whom I will call CTE, was such a nerd! He knew all the answers with his extensive vocabulary. The funny thing is that I have never had such a serious session with this group (they are usually soooo rowdy but I guess they were shy with the newcomer). And two of my girls were vying for his attention (one was Barrettes Girl who comes to school in frickin midriffs!). So Barrettes Girl started getting all jealous that Jay-Z (another girl who told the psych that I am her friend) was getting all of CTE's attention. (At one point, Barrettes Girl yelled across the table, "You only like him b/c of his eyes!" It was totally random, funny, and catty.)

Anywho, so today, CTE stopped by during lunch period. He lingered around and chatted up a storm with me, asking me the typical curious questions (what do you do in here? Why do you see certain students?). Actually, it was a very fascinating conversation. He told me how he's a vegetarian and other relative background info on that change in lifestyle. We got onto the subject of family (it stemmed off of our discussion about food -- which was a rather detailed discussion about our favorite kinds of pizza from different places). Then he poured his heart/sentiments out about his family situation. It was really crazy...moreso b/c I am still constantly surprised at how candid kids are with me about their thoughts and situations. It makes me want to talk, advise, and console them like I would to a friend. I don't really though b/c I often feel obligated to say cliches (unless I really feel strong about something).

So CTE told me about his home situation and how he came to the decision of living with his dad, which was really mature I might add. He poured his heart out over his mom's situation and what he hopes to do in the future to help her out. As if I wasn't impressed enough with this kid, he spoke about how he wants to make enough money to help his mother out of her situation and not spend his hard-earned money on drugs b/c he sees how people waste their money and life on drugs. He's going to stay drug-free because he knows that he has to be clean to be a professional athlete (I wasn't about to corrupt his dream and tell him how twisted that whole lifestyle could be).

Sidebar: I was so shocked when he told me Barrettes Girl is the sister of one of my favorite students! They must be half or step-siblings though (different last names). I was astounded b/c her brother is such a sweetheat; he is soOoOoOOoo polite and considerate, and he works really hard (kids totally get brownie points when they try/work really hard). Barrettes Girl bullies other kids, makes false sexual harassment allegations, and does other crazy things (like wear midriffs to school). I would never have guessed in "many centuries"** that they were related!

CTE stayed until the end of his lunch period. When he left, I was floored. It mystifies and fascinates me how random kids like to just come in and chat with me. It's like I'm a pseudo-psychiatrist off-hours (or during lunch periods).

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

The funny thing is that Jay-Z (who is very sweet but needs a lot of attention) saw me after school and hounded me, "you know that boy from last time?" "M-hm." "I saw him in your room during lunch. What were you guys doing?" The was the first of like 10 questions: What did you guys talk about? What did he ask you? What did you say? I must have still had my pseudo-psychiatrist hat on b/c I totally gave vague answers to protect confidentiality. Ha! Well, I was honest with a few things (like how he asked what we did in therapy). She wouldn't let up, but since she had to go back to her after school program before she got in trouble, she ended with, "Okay, well, we'll talk more tomorrow." WTH? I walked away laughing at how nonchalant and mature she sounded with the promise to get back to me tomorrow to dish more about her boy.

...Who really does have nice eyes.

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

**I asked one of my kids today what he thought "centuries" meant. He responded, "a million years!" I was cracking up. He totally got me, though, when he asked what A.D. meant (as in A.D. vs. B.C.). I couldn't remember for the life of me what the PC way of saying/explaining "B.C." was. So I told him the un-PC definition but gave him the disclaimer (e.g., religious people who believe in Jesus Christ might say B.C. b/c...).

No comments: