Sunday, November 04, 2007

Infield Par-Tay at Oak Tree

Today, we went to Oak Tree at Santa Anita Race Track! Since Bro's company was a sponsor for California Cup XVIII at Oak Tree, we got to be his exclusive $80 guests (and scored Illuminated Glass California Cups).

I started the morning pretty anxious. Yesterday afternoon, Gramma asked if I could pick her up (up until that point, I didn't know they were going). When I got home, I told BF that my family would be at the event...but he better still go b/c my bro invited him and each ticket costs $80 (Total Classic Liang Guilt Trip laid on the poor guy). He didn't seem phased, which was a good thing; instead, he said, 'of course I'll still go.'

Then this morning, my Bro dropped another bomb -- FBIL wasn't going any more. So Bro said, give BF a heads up b/c if he doesn't want to go any more, then Lynnburger will need a ride from someone else. I said with a Total Bro Liang Directive, "FBIL isn't going any more, so can you pick Lynn up from her house?" "Oh, okay."

20 minutes later, BF asked, "You couldn't tell me earlier that your family was going too?" "I just found out yesterday afternoon." "Okay." I couldn't believe how well he was taking everything. :)

Shortly after, I met Genius Aunty down the street to pick up Gramma, and we headed to Oak Tree. There, we met up with Daddy, his roomie, Cousin Yees, Bro, Janet, Parker, and Nancinator. I was giddy seeing how big the gala was. Bro said there would be a seafood buffet, but it was more than that! There were jumbo shrimps and grilled veggies (my fave!), sushi, the most delicious corn beef that any of us had ever tasted, other carved meats, ice-cream bars galore, a loooooong glamorous dessert table (Bro and I picked chocolate sea shells off of coral candied art), and many other ethnic foods. Not to mention, open bar! (Although I had about 3 oz. of lite beer and then just drank soda and water.) We felt like celebrities!

We got there during the 2nd race and sat with Tita Dina and her best friend and husband. Tita Dina, her best friend, and BF bet on a couple horses throughout the day. BF won a whopping $2 while Tita Dina won $4! :) BF and I also tried the Pick 6 million dollar win. I found him under a screen, and I asked if he had picked his 6. He looked all bummed and said, "I only have a dollar left." So I grabbed his picks, sprinted to find my bro to borrow a dollar, bro glanced up and said, "Mei, hurry! We only have a minute left!" Ran to the windows (lady said, "you better hurry and give me your picks! There's less than a minute left!") and then I got our Pick 6. Dude, we were out of the win by the first race (our pick for the 1st race out of the 6 didn't come in first). Still, it was fun. :) (Lamely, I later remembered that I had $16 in my cosmetic bag.)

Shortly after, people started leaving. Gramma and Dad were about to take off so I grabbed BF and said, you need to say hello now! So he said hello to Gramma and my Aunt's family. (Yay BF for having the courage!)

After most of our group left, Bro and I left with Tita Dina and Co. On our way back, Bro and I took a detour to Downtown for happy hour. My bro missed out on "Santa Anita's widely acclaimed buffet" b/c he was busy hosting.

We ended up at the Daily Grill (amongst a bunch of USC kids). We ate, chatted, and relaxed. He philosophized about nature and life while I spoke about my crazy kiddos. It was really nice to end the day chillaxing with my bro. We talk almost everyday, yet it's still nice, rare, and different to go out with him for a meal.

Then we went home to our BFs. :) The end.

Cousin Gnat and I...or as the "John Travolta" impersonator called us, "Lucy Liu and her partner."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why am i the partner?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time, we are so sad we had to miss it! Congrats on the big first step with BF and the family. Hopefully it is one leap of many!