Friday, November 16, 2007

Friends Forever

Remember back to elementary school when you'd sign yearbooks, "FF"? I wonder how many I've written "FF" but didn't remain in contact with...and those whom I have never promised FF but really do remain FF. (That sounds like the penultimate paragraph to a Friendship forward.)

Tonight, an old friend IM'd me. We go waaaay back. Like to JH. Actually, let me rewind. Last night, I was IM'g another old friend (going waaaay back to the summer fresh out of HS). I was telling him how crazy JH kids are nowadays, which prompted me to reflect on how I was in JH. I thought about 97, my 2nd "boyfriend." I thought long and hard about whether we really did anything -- like even hold hands. I couldn't remember anything scandalous (by 1990 standards)...which is probably why 97 and I laugh about us even calling each other BF/GF. It was truly a pure and innocent crush.

Well, years come and go and as I've always been, I don't keep in touch (very well) with people.

Tonight, 97 IM'd me, after several years of no contact, and we got to chatting about the past, present, and future. For the record, he corrected that we did do something in JH. He said, "Yah, we hugged ONCE." And it was on the day we "broke up." LOL

After a short session of IMing, he proposed that I call him up (since I didn't sound so promising about every meeting up with him...call me asocial!). Dude, I felt like I was in JH again. I was all nervous, moreso b/c we hadn't spoken in years (and I just don't like talking on the phone!). On the other hand, I know myself. I may not like answering the phone or picking up the phone to call someone, but once I am in a telephone conversation with a friend, I so enjoy it.

So, 97 and I talked for about an hour, just catching up. I truly feel like we are FF, despite not keeping in constant touch. I've always felt that my best friends are those with whom I can just pick up where we last left off. And that's how it is with 97. It was great talking to him and catching up.

After giving him a brief synopsis of my life since we last chatted, he said one thing that really captured the essence of my life at this very moment -- I have stability in my life.

And it's a wonderful thing.

No comments: