Monday, October 22, 2007

Pick Me (but not for more services ;)

I think I'm more stressed than I am conscious about. Lately, I've been dreaming A LOT about my kiddos and/or workload. Last week, I had a dream that one of my kiddos who transferred away, came back onto my caseload. =P Since that night, I have had a few dreams about my kids every night. It's just hard for me to not think about my kids and what I want to and/or wish I could do to help them. I wish I could do so much more with them.

What I have been doing is leaving my door open all the time (even when I need some quiet time), and I'll snatch my kiddos for quick tx whenever I can. Those poor innocent victims. Mu-hahahaha....Yet they keep coming back! You'd think that after one body-snatching, they won't come back unless they have to, but they still come by during their recesses. It's a bizarre phenomenon. I don't know if it's ethical to provide tx during their recess time, but honestly, I doubt the parents will complain if I take away from recess. In fact, at least half of the parents have requested at IEPs for me to service their kiddos more, but I've been standing firm on not giving additional time (quite frankly, my spiel has gotten really convincing; not to mention, I have my open-door policy). One of my girls has been coming in a lot, and I was so encouraged today to hear her asking me so many, "what does ____ mean?" :)

Today, VTW observed a few good sessions...and a few busted ones. I have to admit that I am horrible at learning new board games. I have to read the instructions at least 2-3 times...and I will still end up proclaiming, "I don't get it." Well, I decided to wing it today with a new game (even though I had read the instructions 2x) and the first attempt was a disaster. After lunch, I told VTW that I was going to chance it again. She said, "Oh no, Cheryl, not again! Wasn't that one session enough?" OMG, was it really that bad? =O Fortunately for me, it went much smoother the 2nd time around. :)

My last group of kiddos was a lot of fun, too. They are all so adorable. We played a round of Go Fish with Wacky Cards, and they had me busting up. "Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!" followed by "Is it my turn?" every few seconds. They asked VTW at least 20x (no joke), "What's your name again?" It was driving her bonkers. LOL Well, I guess I shouldn't laugh too loud b/c they still don't know my name!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, me too! I feel like I work 16 hour days because every night for the last one - two weeks I have been doing therapy and evals in my dreams. I wake up, go to the bathroom, and go right back to the dreams of work. It is HORRIBLE! I wake up exhausted and think, "I just did therapy and evals all night, and now I have to go do it all day too? What is wrong with this picture???"

Look at you Ms. Professional SLP with open door policy, being firm to parents, sneaking in extra sessions. You totally rock! I am proud of you for getting everything together so well!

I am slow on the uptake with board games too!

Chanel said...

I feel you, woman, I feel you. I was exhausted after today, but since I procrastinated on a few things, I had to finish them up...just did!

We have got to get together soon for a board game night or something! (Along w/ Knitting Night, Pizza Night, Rubber Stamping Night, Tx Material Exchange Night, and plain Ladies' Night!)