Saturday, October 27, 2007

It's Raining

I wasn't expecting it to rain today (nor 2 nights ago), but it was a pleasant surprise. I told BF, "it's raining," but rather than saying it in my excited tone, I said it with a flat tone, reminiscing about one of my 320 kiddos.

I found out on Wednesday that when my 320 boy with unquiet hands is sad (or experiencing any negative feeling), he says, "it's raining" with a soft, flat tone. (Teacher says that this kid is scared of rain so when he says that it's raining, it means he is sad.) I'm not sure how true it is since attaching meaning or communicative intent is hit or miss, but to her defense, we had a tough session that day and the little big kiddo kept alternating every few minutes between, "It's raining" (when he was clearly upset and crying out of control) and "It's not raining" (when he calmed down/temporarily stopped crying). So it did seem appropriate.

I also thought about my very first 320 kiddo (in on-campus clinic). One time, he was scared out of his mind. He heard a vacuum in the distance and completely freaked out, grabbing me tightly out of fear. Vacuums were his worst nightmare incarnate. BF often wonders about him, as do I.

Autism is such a mystery that only God understands.

No comments: