Sunday, October 07, 2007

Busy Weekend

Yesterday, my bro picked me up. When he saw my big-@$$ nerdy tote cart of stuff, he asked, "Why are you bringing all that home? We have a busy weekend!" Actually, it was a very busy and very fun weekend!

After he picked me up, we went to meet Dentist Aunty for some business stuff. Cousin Gnat and I were just there for the ride, but bro was needed since he moonlights as a real estate agent. That was probably the least fun part of the weekend, since we were there for like 2.5 hours. I ended up sitting in the car and reading a few pages of the PECS manual before I dozed off. Afterwards, bro and I zoomed home to Gramma.

We only reached San Marino when bro spotted a sign that signified that our elementary school was having a special event. After he guessed it was the annual school fair, we couldn't resist checking out the haps so we parked at the Junior High, walked down memory lane (a.k.a. the hallway from Huntington to Valentine) and even passed by the Kindergarten gate where my bro used to wave hello to me while I rode the tricycle. We finally ventured out onto the playground where the fair really was happening! We checked out several booths and reminisced about the good ol' times. Although lots has changed (Wolfgang Pucks was catering! WTH?!), some things still remain the same. The Cake Walk still takes place around the same location (and the cakes still look the same!). We quickly hopped back into Dad's car and straight shot home to Gramma's.

On our way home to Gramma's, I played with my newest techy toy. My dad and bro got me a Garmin Nuvi 650! This thing is AWESOME! More importantly, I so need it. I embarrass myself with how directionally-challenged I've become. With each aging year, my sense of direction decreases exponentially. Thankfully, Elsa came standard with a compass. Even more thankfully, my bro had the greatest sense of finding this for me!

Rewind: So earlier in the week, I spoke with Gramma who said, "Since it's your birthday, I will treat you out to dinner when you come home this weekend." I said, "No gramma, it's (finally) my turn to treat...especially since I got my first paycheck!" She laughed and then said, "Oh! Okay." :)

So when we got to Gramma's Saturday afternoon, we picked her up for dinner. Bro made the excellent suggestion of the Melting Pot, which neither gramma nor I have ever been to. Unfortunately, we found out when we got there that reservations were usually required for the busy weekends, and it seemed like many of the people were dressed nicely. Luckily, the assistant manager finagled a spot for us (basically, if the 5:00 RSVP didn't show up by 5:30, then we could get their table). We got lucky; we were promptly seated at 5:30.

We went all out and ordered the Big Night Out. Our dinner began with the spinach artichoke cheese fondue where we dipped breads, vegetables, and green apples. Shortly after, I had a spinach and portabello mushroom salad which I promptly switched with my bro for his California salad. Next, we had the Coq au Vin Fondue Fusion. Lastly, we had the Flaming Turtle chocolate fondue. Bro and gramma also had white wine and champagne. The entire meal and experience was wonderful!

I was just really happy to finally bring my bro and gramma out to eat. I was also really glad that bro suggested this place. :)

Afterwards, we stopped by Home Depot (the 2nd least fun part of the weekend for me) and then we were home. I was knocked out by 10:30 or 11.

This morning, we rushed out to Santa Anita Oak Tree (Race Track) for the Breeders' Cup Challenge Day. This was my 3rd time at a horse race and even though I don't bid, it's still really exciting to watch and cheer (especially when there's an upset during the last few seconds). Dentist Aunty's family met us there and we watched a few more races. Dentist Aunty picked 2 horses...but sadly, both came in last place and 2nd to the last place for that one race. Haha. :) We parted ways then and Bro and I picked up some Chinese food for dinner (and for our S.O.) before we headed back home.

Now, Lil F and I are waiting for BF to come home. He spontaneously flew out to Vegas yesterday to visit his parents and best friend and to watch the Pacquiao vs. Barrera match (funny, random thing is that he ran into his rapper cousin and other cousin last night at a club).

What a busy but fun weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good times! I always think about going to the Melting Pot! Now with your high recommendation I will have to go there for sure! Glad you had a continued nice celebration! :)