Thursday, May 17, 2007

No Correlation

There is a nurse that has commented a few times about how fast I walk around the unit. I know I walk fast when I'm in a work environment. I always have. It's called my I'm-really-busy-walk. Secret: I always do this walk even if I am not really that busy. It's just a habit. Clarification/Truth: However, I am typically always busy here so my walk is for reals.

Today, I was charting at the nurse's station when I almost knocked over 3 boxes of tissues, tried to be discreet about it when I almost got away with knocking over none, knocked one over in the process, and then became nondiscreet about trying to be discreet about my clumsiness. This was in front of the nurse commentator. After the laughter at my expense, MN said in all seriousness, "Have you ever thought that perhaps your clumsiness is attributed to your fast pace? Maybe if you slowed down a little, you wouldn't be so clumsy."

So I stood there pontificating aloud. "Hm, that's a really good point. [Pause] I don't know why I I've always walked at a fast pace. Actually [epiphanous moment #1], I think my fast pace came from working in coffee shops." I explained/pre-justified that I consider myself a relatively patient person but when it comes to waiting in lines, I have close to no patience in the majority of circumstances. So behind the counter, I didn't like to make my customers wait. Perhaps that's where the fast pace became established. Working in the law firms only perpetuated the fast pace.

MN said, "So when you're at home, you must slow down, right? So you're probably not so clumsy at home."

I wish. At home, I slow down...but I am still uber-clumsy. BF says I break everything around here (and that he has to fix everything). Of course I call him a liar and all and insist that things are 1) poorly made and/or 2) just break around me (without me doing anything).

So after all this rambling, I conclude that there is no correlation between my fast pace and clumsiness.

Epiphany #2: Now that I have "slowed my pace down" b/c I am at home, I am having another realization that precedes epiphany #1. I believe my speed-walking pace began in JH. My bro used to nag at me to walk faster when I tagged along with him. Some old habits just don't die I guess.

Epiphany #3: Outside of a work environment, my fast pace is called my "don't mess with me walk." It is a walk that I have perfected over the years of mishaps and near misfortunes. Let's just leave it at that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really, really like reading your blog! Thank you for sharing your days and thoughts!

Chanel said...

Addendum: Yesterday, at the end of a session, I completely knocked over a pitcher of fresh ice and startled my poor anxious pt. I was so embarrassed! Poor guy was so anxious and was like, "What happened? Why are we ending [2 mins] early [so I could clean my mess up]? Did I do something wrong?"

No, no, I am just too clumsy to be in this fragile environment!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor BSILF! :)