Monday, August 17, 2009

Home Sweet Home from Europe

Throughout our entire trip, I have been paranoid about waking up late so every night before I went to bed, I checked my iPhone alarm obsessive-compulsively, counting and recounting the time difference to make sure that my alarm at 8:30 PM really meant I was waking up at 5:30 AM. (I am so glad I brought my iPhone because there were no alarm clocks in any of the hotels that we stayed at.)

Of course on the last day, I totally slacked off. Hubby woke up around 4 AM and couldn’t sleep but I dozed back asleep. Next thing I know, Hubby says, “Hunny, it’s 5:50! Weren’t you supposed to wake up at 5:30?” Good thing he woke up to wake me up otherwise we would have missed our shuttle and flight home!

We rushed to get ready and were downstairs by 6:30, waiting for our shuttle. I was really relieved because not only did we get to the lobby in time, I even had time to run into the breakfast room to grab a big slice of the delicious marble pound cake.

Our shuttle ride was about 20 minutes to the Rome Fiumicino Airport. Since we were about an hour and a half early, we walked around and checked out the duty-free shops. Since we all boarded a little late, our flight took off a little later than scheduled. We didn’t sweat it since we had a 2.5 hour layover in New York. However, we were anxious to get our 9 hour flight going.

The flight from Rome to New York wasn’t as bad as Los Angeles to London, but it was still bad enough for me to have to get up a few times to stretch out before my legs cramped up. We had our last taste of Italy for our meals – pasta and pizza.

We landed at JFK and immediately went through customs. When we got to the area, we saw a long line and both groaned. That's when we saw that the long line was for the first-class and business-class passengers...and the line for us regular passengers was super short! Customs was a breeze; it took between 5 - 10 minutes (waiting and being cleared). The bummer was that when we landed in JFK, we immediately found out that our flight home was delayed an hour and a half, so we now had about 3.5 hours to kill. Not enough time for us to head out and explore but too much time to sit around in an airport. We killed off almost an hour just making phone calls but after that we sat for a little bit. That's when we had this conversation:

Hubby: What snacks do you have?
Me: Toblerone, cookies, and this orange.
Hubby: Um...Where did you get that orange?
Me: At breakfast this morning...
Hubby: What? At the hotel?

(As in, the hotel in Rome?)
Me: Yup...[gasp] Oh no! I smuggled fruit in from a foreign country??
Hubby: Yes, you douche!
Me: What should I do? Can I eat it right now?
Hubby: No! Go throw it away right now!

So I sadly did.

We were supposed to board at 4:20 PM to depart at 5 PM. We literally stood by the gate for more than an hour before they finally let us get on at 5:40 PM! By then, the majority of us passengers were in a real funk. Poor Hubby had to sit in the middle seat for both flights (he always gives me the aisle or window seat, even before he knew that I sometimes get claustrophobic). Instead of getting home at 7:15, we got home close to 10 PM.

We were especially excited to be greeted not just by my brother, but FBIL and Max, too! As a welcome home meal, we stopped by In-N-Out.

All in all, we had a wonderful trip but we were definitely glad to be home sweet home…with our turtle! 

No comments: