Sunday, August 16, 2009

Europe: Rome (Non-Tour Day)

Since our tour is officially over today, I told Hubby several times yesterday that 1) I was going to sleep in (for the first time on our trip) and 2) I was going to have a hearty continental buffet breakfast. I woke up earlier than Hubby so I quickly got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast to ensure I had enough time to enjoy my breakfast.

I didn’t want to wake Hubby but was secretly hoping he would join me for breakfast. He ended finding me in the middle of breakfast and said, "Gees, I went looking all over for you and then I remembered that you would probably still be eating. Next time, you have to leave me a note or something!" The thing is, he doesn't read my notes anyways and really, where else would I be when there is free yummy continental breakfast buffet?

(The marble cake on the top right of my plate got my favorite vote.)

Afterward, we went back upstairs to start packing and organizing our luggage before heading out to explore. All the stores that we were interested in visiting were still closed for Ferragosto. Since Hubby had been eyeing the McDonald's on the corner, we stopped in there. It was so crowded because it was lunchtime, so we walked next door to the gelateria that the funny Canadian couple had recommended (3 scoops for 2.5 Euros!). Right when we got there, the people were saying that it was closed and would re-open at 7 PM. Richard had told us that in Europe, places close down in the middle of the day because they can for no apparent rhyme or reason (to the public).

We went across the street to the patisserie that I had been eyeing, where I got a delicious cookie “sandwich” that had nutella or some chocolatey-goodness in the middle and dipped on the bottom of the top cookie.

(Top right corner, second cookie from the right on the top shelf.)

We went back to McDonald’s for lunch around noon or so. Christian ordered from the take-out window and got a Big Mac, criss-cut fries, and a Coca-Cola with the special Collector's Edition glass.
"Give me the #1 please...No curly fries right now? Okay, criss-cut fries."

I also got an ice-cream cone. I couldn’t help but laugh at myself while I alternated between eating my delicious cookie in my left hand and licking my refreshing ice-cream in my right hand, as we walked across busy intersections back to the hotel. I felt like a 5 year-old. A very happy 5 year-old.


When we got back to the hotel, we ate outside on their benches and walked to the end of the parking lot where there was a trail but decided that it was too warm/hot so we went inside, and I e-mailed our family some updates. After that, we went upstairs and took a nap.

For dinner, we ate at il Chiostro in the hotel, since we had 10% off the bill and two welcome drinks. We both ordered two pints of Kronen beer. Hubby ordered Pizza Margherita (tomato and mozzarella cheese pizza), I ordered, Ravioli ai Quattro Formaggi (ravioli with cheese sauce), and we shared Caprese Salad (tomatoes with mozzarella cheese and basil). Hubby's pizza had the most tomato sauce out of all the pizzas we have eaten. Afterward, we went back to the gelateria to get 3 scoops in a waffle cone each. The mint chocolate chip was delicious! Hubby's favorite was something called Skoky. We had no idea what it was when we ordered it, but it turned out to be something like vanilla, peanut butter, and fudge.


By then, I was full beyond comfort. We ended up going back to the hotel, e-mailing some more, and then turning in early since we were being picked up between 6:30 – 6:45 AM. All in all, we had a relaxing, peaceful last full day in Rome.

As they say, leave on a high note, right?

No comments: