Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Europe: Paris to Lucerne

Today, we left Paris to head to Lucerne (Switzerland). We totally scored and got the front row with panoramic view both ahead and to our side, thanks to the rotation system. We also experienced a blessing in disguise; a couple jacked the seats behind us from the talkative mother and her quiet daughter so we didn’t have to sit in front of that lady for the 4-5 hour drive! (Although I was pleased to sit behind a quiet couple, I did feel that it was wrong for the couple to purposely sit in the wrong place. The daughter passive-aggressively confronted them and the wife simply said, "Oh, it was too crowded back there so we decided to sit up here" -- okay! The bus is completely full so whether you sit in the front or back, it's the same. The only difference is that they were now sitting in the second row, rather than the rear of the bus.)

We passed by some vineyards and then headed into Besancon. We had been heading South and then started East. We had a quick lunch break at a pit stop (again). It was not good, and it was expensive. I chose ham and veggies, and it was 10 Euros. Hubby decided not to eat anything...but then went to the little shop and came back with Twix, Lays, and a Coke. I felt betrayed! I would have much rather indulged in a lunch of candy bars and chips than what I had! Since I was so disappointed with lunch, we went back to the shop and got me Sweet BBQ Doritos...since I love Doritos and BBQ flavored chips.
Afterward, we continued our drive and saw the Black Forest, German mountains, and so much greenery. In the late afternoon, we arrived in Lucerne and went to see the beautiful Lion Monument. I really liked it, but we only got a glimpse of it for a few minutes. The lion lays on top of a shield with the fleur de lis, which I have recently become obsessed with prior to our European vacation.


After that, we went to a nearby shopping area. I loved that around different corners, there were musicians. Not just amateur performers, but a harpist and several stringed quartets. We looked for Swiss Army knives but they were really expensive. I did see the cow bells that Ama once had and the cuckoo clock that Daddy bought me. The only things we got were milk chocolate and white chocolate Toblerone bars from Confiserie Bachmann. I really wanted a truffle but couldn’t figure out if I could only buy one vs. a whole box, so I ended up not getting any. I figured that even though Toblerones are sold in the U.S., these would still taste different since everything else tastes different (Lays, Coca-cola, Twix). They were extremely delicious; since they were actually produced in Switzerland, they tasted exquisitely creamy and all around yummy.


Before dinner, we checked into Grand Hotel Europe Lucerne. The entire place from outside-in is beautiful, quaint, and cozy. (Our rooms were a little bit plain…and warm; no A/C.) We had dinner with our group at the hotel restaurant. It consisted of a yummy spring salad and the main entrée was fish.

After dinner, we walked across the street to walk by Lake Lucerne. We didn’t walk too far since Hubby'’s thighs are really sore from yesterday’s climb down the Eiffel Tower. My calves are extremely sore, too. We sat by the lake for about 10 minutes or so before heading back to the hotel. On our way up, Hubby grabbed a beer from the cute bar.


I can see why people love Switzerland. Lucerne is so beautiful, quaint, and serene. The hotel we are staying at is so cute. It is also the oldest hotel in the city, but well kept. Everywhere you turn you see lush greenery. It’s wonderful here.

And here is another one of those shots that we took ourselves with Hubby "posing":

And here is one where I'm starting to get into the fake candid shots, too:

No comments: