Saturday, November 08, 2008

Tough Crowd

This week of work went pretty well with all things considered, until I got ambushed yesterday mid-morning. My work roomie came across really strong after my IEP yesterday morning. (Disclaimer: she is intense b/c everyone there is intense. She was just helping me, trying to make sure I have covered all of my bases, but she just came across stronger than usual, and also said that she had given me two documents that I had no recollection of receiving). At that point, I said, "I just need a minute..." and then I couldn't help it, my eyes welled up.

I guess all of my emotions that I had put on hold for two weeks finally caught up, and I was just so overwhelmed at that point. All week, I felt like I was doing really well, getting things accomplished, climbing the steepest learning curve, keeping level-headed, making sure I don't upset any parents nor staff, and powering through all of those overdue IEPs b/c of stupid Barfeen. Just when I think I have a good hold on things, I am told that there is even more stupid paperwork to fill out and how I should have contacted these parents and teachers 2 weeks ago (when I've only been here less than two weeks and not even at full-time status!). For the love of God, people, give me a break!

I ended up staying at work until 6 P.M. yesterday and missing the staff happy hour/mixer, where I intended to do a little County/SLP P.R., since the teachers can really make or break these IEPs that I case manage...but after the intense day, I had absolutely no desire to use any residual energy to mingle. Besides, I had to finish all of the new paperwork for the IEPs I held and near future ones, since I know I won't have time next week with the holiday and two triennial IEPs at my SDC site and one more long overdue IEP.

An exhausting part of this assignment is having to make sure you don't upset anybody off. In my delirium, I had a moment of clarity. This assignment is only for one year. If I don't make a good impression at the IEP, who cares? I won't ever have to meet with them again. (Well, knock on wood b/c more than half of the mothers don't work so several drop in, call or e-mail, and even stay to watch therapy.) Besides, if they don't feel a connection with me, then they can go on with their bad selves and request for a different SLP. I just want to do my job of seeing their children, but I don't even have much time for that because I'm busy dealing with their hemming and hawing for more services but at their requested times, long IEPs where mothers cry because their son can't produce the "r" sound, and rescheduling so their kids aren't pulled out of music, art, math, language arts, P.E., etc. They actually want us to service their kids after their school hours (grades get out at staggered released time, which further complicates scheduling). Hello! That's what private therapists are for! I know you can afford it!

I had heard that this district is tough because people actually relocate from other places because people know that the parents typically get what they want here (i.e., I see one child INDIVIDUALLY for stuttering!). Holy snikeys, I did NOT know it was on a global scale. People from other countries (i.e., Germany, Europe) actually call the District Office to tell them that they are relocating here for the services. This is surreal. Seriously, if my child ever requires special education services, I promise to not be ridiculous and rule by fear and intimidation.

This week I broke a personal record. I held 5 IEPs and attended an intense SDC one not on my caseload all in the 24 total hours (3.4 days) that I was there. Of course that doesn't include all of the overtime hours and staff meetings that run past our regular work hours. I am exhausted, but I need to write two assessment reports for those two triennials due this week. I can't wait until Winter Break, "Ski Week," Spring Break, and finally Summer Break.

The best news I heard all week was something my boss' secretary shared with my fellow SLP, who is going through the same intensity as me (she serves the SDC autism class at this site). Secretary overheard boss tell someone in her no-nonsense tone over the phone, "No, if [yours truly] wants her site back next year, she is getting it back next year." Talk about hot gossip! Who was she talking to??? Why would she say that?? I know I shouldn't care b/c that means Boss Lady really means it when she says I won't have to come back to this site next year!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! It sounds like you are doing a stand up job!