Sunday, November 02, 2008

Sports Fan

For Halloween, the Special Education Department at my new assignment decided on dressing up as coaches or in our work-out clothes. I don't think I actually hit the mark but whatever. I wore my Adidas warm-ups, H2B's (huge) black Adidas t-shirt (he insisted that I match), and Adidas wristbands.
At the end of the day, the custodian asked, "Are you a big sports fan?" I told him I was by association. H2B loves sports beginning with "B": baseball, basketball, bowling, and boxing.

This sports fan question keeps coming up. During baseball season, H2B actually tried to teach me the plays and would pop-quiz me, "What a 4-3-1 play?" I still can't meet the criterion for mastery. I keep telling him that maybe if I saw a visual diagram, I'd get it faster.

When the 320 teacher asked me if I watch baseball, I told him how H2B is teaching me and I still can't get it straight. He said, "So you're telling me that you can go through the entire BCBA program, but you can't understand baseball??"

Today, H2B watched a few minutes of football and after a few dumb questions from me, H2B explained that the players have 4 opportunities/plays to move at least 10 yards (don't quote me; I don't even know if I got that straight). I lamely asked him, "So, is it always something [1st/2nd/3rd/4th] down and 10?" "No, it depends on how many yards they cover. It could be 1st and 5."

Before I could say anything else, he said, "I don't think you should try to understand. You know you're not good at Math, and this is like Calculus for you." And then he changed the channel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will teach you about football. Wynni and Brigid are in training with me too. They mostly just get excited when it is time to scream for our team. So you can start there! :)