Thursday, November 13, 2008

Something Extra Special


Now that I have an established route driving to dreaded site #2, I've had many mornings where I come to an intersection and need to make a right turn to go down half a block to park. Whenever I stop at that intersection, I have an overwhelming urge to just go straight and see if the beach lays just over the hill.

Since I got this new assignment, I've spent every chance I have walking at the beach to relax and get my mind off of things on the weekends. I listen to music and walk from Venice to Santa Monica and back and take in the air and surroundings. It's something that I've really enjoyed doing ever since the college days (San Diego has beautiful beaches!).

Today was an easy day at Site #2 since we participated in the statewide Disaster Drill, so that knocked off two sessions of therapy. I had to cancel two groups since I had a tri at my beloved Site #1. Today, I decided that it would be the day I see what lays just yonder.

As I left Site #2, I made a right turn (instead of a left) and I was blown away. All you see is (the quaint beach community and just) the pure beautiful Pacific Ocean. I knew that if I just kept going, the street would lead me straight to the pier. I parked at a meter and trotted down to the pier, took a few pictures, and listened and watched the waves before I headed to Site #1.

So far, that is the only perk about Site #2. I hope to discover more perks as the year passes. The assignment isn't so overwhelming any more, now that I have things relatively under control, but I just don't enjoy working there for numerous reasons. I am so glad I still have Site #1, my "extra special" kiddos with autism.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Yesterday, when I arrived at Site #1 for P320's triennial, one of the RSPED teachers ran into me and said, "DA and H keep asking me about you! Every time [stupid Barfeen] calls for them, they beg me to tell her that they have to stay in class for an assignment. They keep asking why you can't work with them...They say, 'we see her on campus and know she still works with her extra special kids; why can't she work with us? We'll change our schedules!'" LOL That is too funny (and sweet). Maybe if they changed their eligibility from Specific Language Impairment to Autism, then I can work with them. Silly kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have found something beautiful about site #2! I hope you can make it to your personal beach a few times a week to clear your mind! Hang in there!