Monday, September 24, 2007

Where the Wild Things Are

I am ever so slowly beginning to see my kiddos. It's been a hoot with most of them. I am working on collaborating with one teacher and almost all of the kiddos have been really welcoming. Many of them are so curious that they keep asking what my name is or stealing glances or smiling at me.

On Friday, I introduced myself to all that were listening, "My name is Ms. Liang." One cutie-patootie said ever so sweetly, "Don't you have a shorter name?"** I almost changed my name on their account, but stopped shortly and said, "Hey, there's no cheating here! My name is only 2 syllables! I'm sure you all can learn it!" The kids erupted in laughter like I said the funniest thing in the world. That was awesome. :)

**Most of the class and 1:1 aids are called Mr./Ms. [first name initial].

Today, I jumped between the collaborative classroom (hereon deemed "Collaboration"), the severe autism class, and my own kiddos. I was exhausted by noon, when I hadn't even done serious tx. :(

I was a little sad to hear that one of my kiddos with severe autism will be transferred in November. This kid is funny (when I am an observer). The first time I interacted with him was last week, when I was poking around the room, looking for files. He tore through the door (without his aid). He looked me dead in the eye and asked, "Where have you been?" I said, "I was in my own room this morning." He continued, "I've been looking all over for you!" "You have? Well, I just got here." "Let's go to where the wild things are!" That's when I realized I got suckered into one of his echolalic monologues! He had perseverated/was reciting from the children's book, Where the Wild Things Are.

Today, when I saw him, he looked me in the eye again and asked, "What's your name?" "My name is Ms. Liang. What's yours?" "My name is [Mr. Where the Wild Things Are]. I've been looking all over for you!" I was like, "Hey, we've had this dialogue before!"

The rest of my day was pretty comical, too (now that I'm at home, reflecting). All of my regular S/L kiddos got lost b/c no one knows where the "new" Speech Room is. I had about 3 adults call to ask if I was missing some kids.

My last group was pretty fun. I was really pleased to see that even though 1 kid didn't know the other 3, who already knew each other, they all got along just fine (just talk about sports and video games and anybody can get along, I suppose). The sad part about that session was how it was dragging forever and a day for me. It was my last session and it was supposed to be just half an hour, but I figured it was pointless to send them back to Homeroom for 10 more minutes. Unfortunately, I embarrassed myself within those 10 minutes. At the beginning, I spoke to them about my expectations. In particular, I expect them to remember my name, and to greet me and their group mates. Of course I completely blanked on one kid's name by the end of the session.

Anywho, I've got 2 I.E.P.s and a tri tmrw and am supposed to go to a workshop in the afternoon. Who knows when I'll have time to actually provide therapy...

2 comments:

Mark Reisch said...

sounds like you are having a blast!

I saw this and thought you would like it. =)

http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-a-Sea-Turtle

Chanel said...

That's so cool! I have yet to try it. Is it fail/fool-proof? I am quite the unartistic one...