Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day as M.A., SLP-CF

Come to think of it, I am neither M.A. nor SLP-CF yet. (My degree hasn't posted nor have I submitted CFY paperwork.) Shoot...

But my employer could care less -- I began work today! :D

The nice thing is that I felt peachy dandy (rather than first day of work jitters). I started my day off by picking up my keys from Fun Van, who turtle-sat. I suspect she is tempted to convert to turtle-ism. As a thank you gift, we gave her a box of scandalous China Panda Chocolate.

Afterwards, I rushed home to get ready and then stopped by the P.O. for a M.O. for my Waiver (boo!). It cost me $55 to be put on a lower salary scale (until my Credential posts and I get paid what I am really worth, according to my employer's standards). After I stopped by the HR office (literally 10 minutes), I went to work.

The crazy thing is that the Office Manager, whom I had spoke to before I left for China, still had no idea why I was there. Well, she sort of knew, but she was still confused so I had to explain to her (as did the Principal and District). After the confusion was settled, I was directed to my office. (Doesn't that sound so profesho-nal?)

Dude, I was the hottest item on the block! Literally, not figuratively, homies. I seriously think my office was close to 100 degrees. Turns out my office is the only one that doesn't have an A/C unit...out of like the entire school. It appears to have doubled (or tripled) as a storage room, too. :( I spent 1/3 of my AM helping the previous resident clear her stuff and then the rest of the day cleaning out the most random stuff: math, literature, history, and science textbooks and workbooks, magazines, and even a HUGE box of "Yarn Material" (a plethora of yarn!). I haven't even gotten to the goodies (SLP manipulatives). I did at least organize the SLP exam materials nicely, though. Colored Post-Its are one of my favorite office supplies.

Several people stopped by to introduce themselves, which I sincerely appreciated. Heck, I really did thank them for stopping by. I figure I'll introduce myself to others when the opportunity arises. The great thing is that the psych seems to be really friendly and will give me a tour and introduction next week; great first impression, especially since I will be working closely with her. Everyone that stopped by to greet me was very nice. I tried my best to stop sweating and to say something witty and/or pleasant.

I would have stayed longer than my 7 hours, but they were hosting a welcoming BBQ for 6th graders and they blasted hip-hop like it should be everyone's business so I called it a day and went to Costco for some shopping therapy. :)

Dude, I haven't got paid yet, but I shopped like I have! I even "splurged" and bought REAL furniture polish and napkins! (None of the 99 cent crap!) I also rewarded myself w/ a fro-yo...and it actually has flavor! (It's usually really bland.) I looked for a fan at Costco, Target, and Bed, Bath, & Beyond but to no avail. When I was at Target, I asked a clerk who looked at me and then said, "they're all sold out." Something about his pragmatics made me skeptical so I went to look, asked another clerk where it was located, and asked another clerk if there were any more. Nope, all sold out. I went to BBB and saw the little personal ones. I asked the dude if they had any standing fans or if they were all sold out. He guffawed as if I had asked the most absurd question. LOL In my defense, I said, "I just came back from vacation yesterday; I had no idea I was coming home to a heat wave!" Hopefully, I'll have better luck tomorrow.

I am currently scheming on how to finagle a cooler room. So far, my passive-aggressive scheme is to ask the principal, "Can you also have maintenance fix my A/C? It is not working and it was sOooOOo hot yesterday." (In the brief meeting today, she said that the A/C in some rooms was not working and it will be fixed.) (Seriously, my room does not even have an A/C unit...and to add insult to injury, the huge networking box is in my room, emitting even more heat!)

I wish I had my camera with me today so that I could show my office and to show how productive I really was (and how dirty I got).

I hope that when I get in tmrw, my key works, I will have a "kidney" desk and work desk, and clean carpets with no spiders! (I killed 3 spiders today. Gross!) :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on completing your first day of work as a pro-fesh-a-nul! Yay you!

Check the office stores, sometimes they don't sell out of fans b/c people don't think to go there. Also, you can borrow one from us if that fails. Just holla!

Girl, you totally need to ask for the a/c to get fixed! OR at least for a ceiling fan to be installed. They should totally want you to be happy, after all you are a precious resource in short supply!

Thanks for posting and good luck tomorrow! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I got a small personal fan from Sharper Image that was 70% off and now selling for 20 bucks. They also had large tower fans for like...60? I think? Good luck, and let me know if you want me to pick one up for you. I believe Ben is coming here on Sat.

Chanel said...

Thanks everyone for your generous offers of helping me cool down! Hopefully, something will be done soon. I am working on it. ;)

Otherwise, I may have to just come in shorts and a bikini top.

I hear in the winters, it is freezing; the previous person even wore a scarf and mitts!