Monday, September 17, 2007

One Day at a Time

This new job has kept me really, really busy. I know it'll get better as I get established and accustomed to routines. My goal is to work 7 hour days by the end of this year. (Perhaps I should set short-term objectives?) I.e., By December 31, 2007, I will work 7 hour days, including a paid non-working half hour lunch, with 100% accuracy in 5 out of 5 attempts as measured and observed by myself and BF. (I know that doesn't make sense but honestly, my brain has been on overdrive. I.e., I tried to call BF today to ask him something and I was so surprised to hear my own voicemail message.* Duh, I dialed my own cell!)

*I've gotten a few comments on my new VM message. Normally, I never change my VM greeting but since people have been contacting me on my cell, I changed it to a professional greeting. It's pretty ridiculously over-articulated. I figure that since I'm referring to myself as an SLP, I better say my name clearly to avoid misnomers -- Sharon, Sherry, Michelle, Shaniqua...

This job is also making me confront myself about how disorganized I can be. I am such a paper-piler and pro-shuffler. But it gets really embarrassing when I do that with other people waiting on me. I bought a bunch of file folders and stuff to help me, but my office is still a war zone during the day. The nice thing is that since I'm in The Circle, lots of people stop by (and every time an adult visits, I apologize profusely for the mess). I've even got 2 kiddos that greet me every so often. One is the little faux T.A. that stops by to ask if I need help. The other is a little social butterfly 6th grader. He comes in to shoot the breeze right before his breakfast. It's nice to start my day with little friendly kiddos.

Just about everyday, my CF supervisor tells me, "Remember -- one day at a time." Although I have been taking it one day at a time, my daily to-do list keeps piling up. Today, the psych stopped by and after we discussed logistics, she glanced at my to-do list (check boxes and all) and commented, "Hm, it looks like you don't have very much crossed off." I looked and sure enough, out of 24 items, only 3 boxes were checked off.

One day at a time. :)

No comments: