Sunday, December 20, 2009

Brandon from Angel Tree

I have been wanting to participate in church activities for a long time, but I have come up with one excuse after another, ever since I started going regularly a few years ago. More than anything, I really want to join in the Children's Ministry, which is a mix of baby-sitting and teaching about the Bible during the morning session. However, I just haven't been able to commit to the time requirements, even though I really have no reason not to, except wanting my sleep.

So a few weeks ago, as I walked out of church, there was a table set up for the Salvation Army Angel Tree Ministries. I can't remember how long our church has done this, but they join with the Salvation Army each year to "sponsor" children whose parents are incarcerated and cannot provide gifts for their children. I picked up a tag for a five-year old boy named Brandon. On his wish list were toy cars, shoes, and clothes.

With our tight budget this year, I opted to provide little Brandon a mix of fun and necessity with the budget of $20. Fortunately, I got to participate in the South Bay Target's shopping day for individuals with disabilities which meant that I got to join my autism class to shop around and receive $5 off of spending $25. In addition to providing therapy with my kids, I also shopped for Brandon. I ended up getting him a pair of shoes (necessity) and a set of 5 Hot Wheels cars (fun -- which looked really cool).

Merry Christmas, Brandon! I wish you and your family the best. May your hearts be filled with peace, joy, and God's love. I will be thinking and praying for you this Christmas.

No comments: