Tuesday, June 01, 2010

3 Weeks

I can't believe it's only/already been three weeks! Baby C is literally growing everyday. Over the past few days, we have noticed a sudden increase in vocalizations, more wakeful "quiet alert" states, and strong grasps (to our clothes).

Time keeps passing so fast, too. I only notice that when I look at the e-mails I haven't responded to and Gmail says how many days it has been since I received the e-mail. The past week has been more challenging than usual. It's as if that wack pediatrician jinxed us! 1/2 j/k I think the first two weeks were like a honeymoon period, and then as Baby C continued to grow, he said (cried) to us, "Okay, it's time to get serious since we're going to be together for a long time."

In the midst of everything, we were fortunate to have a photo shoot on Sunday. Unfortunately, Baby C was asleep for most of it (actually, Kuya Ron, father of 3, said that's a good thing). I was hoping for him to be awake so that we could capture his big, beautiful eyes.* In any case, I am really happy that we got these photos since I declined the expensive photo opportunity at the hospital. Husband made a special collage for me. :)


*The funny thing about his eyes -- that is the first thing that my relatives notice and comment on. I find myself jealous of his big eyes and long lashes (and thankful that he got them from his Daddy).

This past week, we have also had to get used to "marathon feedings," where we cycle through nonstop feedings, burpings, and diaper changes for 2-3 hours straight. Last night, we started earlier, and it went on for only 1.5 so that's drastic improvement.

Another parenting milestone for me is that I'm actually wearing him in a sling! For now, it seems like he doesn't like the cradle hold, but he is okay with the snuggle hold (or maybe b/c he doesn't know he's in the sling since I slipped him in it while he was asleep). We have been thinking that our baby is different in that he doesn't really like to be swaddled (sometimes, he gets really angry, but he does okay when Daddy lets him have an arm out) nor does he like to be worn ("like an accessory," said his Dad.) I'm not so concerned about the swaddling since he sleeps alright through the night (and wakes up every 2-3 hours for feedings and changes). I am hoping that I can wear him, though, as I really believe in all the benefits. And I really believe that he wants and needs to be near us. Even when we lay him down, it's as if he'll sneak a peek to see if we are nearby...and if we're not close enough, he cries for us.

But why does all the literature say that newborns should go through 8-12 diapers in a day? Yesterday, the little dude went through 21 diapers in 24 hours! Sometimes, he pees right after I change him, even though I tried to get him to pee during the change (I have not been successful yet). Lately, he somehow pees on himself at least 1 out of 10 changes with Mommy and I have no idea how! I cover him with a washcloth and in the few seconds I take to throw his diaper away, he magically has a few drops on his onesie...and sometimes even on his face! Then I feel soOoOOOOOo bad... I am very tempted to get the Sozo Weeblock Absorbent Sponge...

I never thought I'd be counting the weeks our baby has been with us, but here I am, telling him "happy birthday" with every passing week. Next week, his one month birthday falls on his Daddy's birthday! How special!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Love, love, love the collage! Go print it at Costco!! Stat! :)

Also, check your email re: pee diapers.