Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pre-Thanksgiving Thoughts

When we were young and spent Thanksgiving dinners at Pastor Aunty's Monterey Road House in San Marino, I remember she had us sit in the living room after dinner and go around and share what we were thankful for. I wish I remember what cheesy things I said.

We don't do that any more, but I think it would be a great tradition to have in the future. (Unfortunately, these memories were recalled by the latest episode of "Dexter," which I hesitatingly watch now that I effortfully avoid gory, gloomy, and maladaptive shows.)

I have been daydreaming about our Thanksgiving dinner for probably a month now. First of all, I am really excited because it is Husband's first family gathering. Our family gatherings usually start off with half of the adults in funky moods but by the time we all gather around to pray and thank the good Lord for everything, everyone's fine by the "Amen." Good food is gathered on plates and we separate to our respective "adult" and "children's" tables (never mind that the youngest of my generation is now 20 or 19? How young are you, Andrew?). I'm really looking forward to Husband experiencing the fun of our family gatherings.

The thought of eating delicious home-cooked entrees has also taken over my mind, especially this past week. Husband asked me if we usually have a traditional meal (i.e., American) or Chinese. I told him it's always a mix of both, and the percentage is unpredictable. Sometimes it's 50/50; other times, it's 70 (Chinese)/30 (American), but we always have a turkey. This year, I'm hoping for more American -- mashed potatoes, corn, mac & cheese, candied yams...mmmm...but since we're not supposed to bring anything, Husband and I are planning on sneaking in Patti LaBelle's Over the Rainbow mac & cheese recipe and Marie Callendar's cornbread (well, baked from their mix). I'd also make mashed potatoes but dude, I'm on a much-needed break so that just sounds like too much work. ;)

MmmMmm...I'm hungry! Two more days!

No comments: