Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Great California Shakeout

Today, our school participated in the Great California Shakeout, a state-wide earthquake drill. In preparation, I spoke to my students beforehand. First of all, I don't know what to think about this -- so many of my students remember a big earthquake from last year....why can't I?? It wasn't during school hours so I can imagine what probably happened at home: I'm sitting at the dining table at my laptop with my back to the turtle's tank. Husband is sitting at his computer or on the sofa. The ground shakes and we hear what sounds like thunder rolling and we look at each other and say, "earthquake!" and both get up and hold onto the turtle's tank. It ends and we stare at the turtle to see if she's spazzing out. Life returns to normal within minutes.

For my kids, it's something different. They clearly remember what happened and what they were doing. One student said he ran outside with his friend, but his friend had the wherewithall to grab his laptop before going outside. I was pretty impressed. He was cracking up saying how lots of people ran outside...in their pajamas. That got me to ask them what one possession they would grab if they had the time/chance. One said his money. Another said his money and a bat. The last one said shoes, clothes, money, and food. The first one (that said money only) then added his iPod. (So much for ONE possession...)

Ever since I was little, I always tried to think about what I would grab if a devastating natural disaster hit. I can't say much has changed -- I'd still grab my Hello Kitty. Just don't tell my students...

No comments: