Sunday, October 04, 2009

30 is the New 20, Right?

On Friday, I celebrated by 30th birthday by doing what I wanted to do...relaxing and eating well!

I took the day from work since our original plans were for us to spend two nights in Anaheim and go to Disneyland on my birthday. Plans were then changed a few weeks ago but for a very good reason.

So Friday morning, I went to watch Husband's boxing lessons and took a pleasant leisurely walk around the huge park (2.2 miles). Afterward, I visited Mom. She really wanted me to visit b/c she just got back from Taiwan and visited my oldest aunt on her side. Together, they bought me an adorable blingy Hello Kitty watch! It's so crazy but I love it! It's totally fun and cute for those days that I am feeling a bit adventurous and wanting to wear a "novelty" watch. :)



So what if I'm 30 and still love Hello Kitty?

After that, I drove back home and then we ate a light snack while we waited to meet up for dinner. I ended up taking a nap since I wasn't feeling so well. Dinner was at Porterhouse Bistro, one of our favorite restaurants. Sadly, 33% of our company couldn't make it! (FBIL and his mom.) We had a yummy dinner with Bro and Lynn. Dinner was interesting since I tried new dishes. I had their soup of the day which was a butternut squash puree. I also had their Porterhouse steak and hands down the best french fries around. Dinner* was of course the signature chocolate lava cake. Yummy goodness!

[*I actually meant "dessert"! Thank you BSILF for pointing that out! Although really, these days, dessert could very well be my dinner! I eat my lunch for breakfast. My meals are all haywire!]

I was pretty sleepy by the end of the meal so we came home and I pretty much went straight to bed.

On Saturday morning, our plans changed a bit, too. Our original plans were to go to the Jewelry Exchange, have lunch at Trump National Golf Course, and then end the afternoon with a pleasant walk around Lake Shrine. Well, hitting 1/3 of our plans wasn't too bad. We went to the Jewelry Exchange to fix my engagement ring and I got a lot of my other jewelry cleaned. (When I got my wedding set back, I put it on and cheesily said, "I've missed wearing these!" It has been a few weeks since I knocked my centerpiece loose. I have no clue how!) We didn't see anything that I really wanted for my birthday, though, so we left.

Afterwards, we stopped by our Chen cousins and went out to a delicious Italian lunch (Roma D'Italia in Tustin/Irvine). It was soOoOo delicious! Husband and I haven't had Italian food since our European honeymoon so it sure brought back nostalgic memories. I ordered a delicious spinach ravioli in alfredo sauce and had some salad and bread with a lot of mozzarella cheese melted in the center. Yummy!

So, we didn't make it to Trump but that's okay b/c I think it would be a lot more "appropriate" for our anniversary. We also didn't make it to Lake Shrine since we would have gotten there when it closed if we did. Plus, I was just so tired by the afternoon. When we got home, I had a special package from BSILF waiting to be opened. BSILF had sent all the way from NY a very special gift for me -- a beautiful, soft, black shawl! I can't wait to wear it! Lately, when I leave for work in the mornings, I breathe in the cold, crisp air and tell myself how I can't wait for Winter to come. I love bundling up for outside and then coming in to warm, cozy places.

All in all, my birthday weekend was really nice and mellow. It's funny how it turned out. A few years ago, when my bro, Husband, FBIL, and others were celebrating their 30th, it was a big event so I imagined mine would be something along those lines, but in the end, it was super chill and mellow with wonderful company, delicious food, and lots of R&R. Not much more I would ask for!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Comments not in any particular order:

1. When you said, "Dinner was of course the signature chocolate lava cake. Yummy goodness!" did you really mean dessert? Or was the soup (sounds divine!), steak, and fries just the appetizer? And if so, what was dessert? Ice cream? (See how well I know you! Or wait, perhaps a stop for fro yo?)

2. The Hello Kitty watch is not nearly as insane as I envisioned from your email. I think it is totally fine for the 30 year old awesome fun chick you are! :)

3. I am so super glad you liked the shawl. When Luke and I went shopping I kept telling him I wanted to get you something good, but I didn't have a good idea. When I saw the shawl on the mannequin (and subsequently tried it on!), I loved it and hoped you would too. I secretly have always wanted to be a shawl person, but just don't have the ability to pull it off. You definitely do. And it seemed like a good LA weather type wrap! And if you gain weight, it will still fit! Not to imply you would, I am just saying it as an added bonus (especially with cake as your main entree these days evidently!).

4. Your b-day sounds excellent - I think mellow and restful birthdays are really the best! I am glad you enjoyed it even though your original plans were revised!

Have a wonderful year!
Love you!

Chanel said...

1. I did mean dessert. Ha! Thank you for pointing that out! For some reason, I am not good at proofing my blog posts.

2. I wore my Hello Kitty watch today and a teacher I worked with had a festive Hello Kitty Halloween shirt. I was like, "check this out!" and she was totally jealous. ;) She made a crack about how she's 50 years old and still wearing fun stuff like this and the kids go up to her and exclaim, "How cute!" (the same way I did when I saw her).

3. I love it! My mom used to wear shawls and then she gave me one, but somehow I lost it before I even got to wear it. I have no idea how. :( Well, I'm happy to start my own "collection" now!

4. These days, it is hard to get me out! I really enjoyed it, though, despite the alternate plans.

I can't believe we have only 3 more months until the new year! Crazy talk! Love you!

Kristi said...

1. You know you really did mean dessert! Don't lie!

2. Maybe you can start a Hello Kitty Fan Club at school!

3. I am really so happy you like the shawl!

4. Going out is overrated!

5. Miss you and love you too!