Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Penny Shy of 30 Cents


Today marks my 29th birthday! In all the relaxation and fun today, I didn't even think once about how old I've turned until about an hour ago.

Last night, I had a date with my bro and FBIL. I got to Chez Carmona around 5 P.M., where Chef Bro was cooking a sumptuous pasta dish a la FBIL's recipe. Creamy sauce consisting of chicken, peas, onion, yellow and red peppers, and spices was delicately poured over rigatoni. FBIL glossed olive oil and sprinkled salt over French bread and then grilled it downstairs. We also had Caesar salad with Japanese cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, corn, and garbanzo beans. Everything was delicious!

Around 6:15, we made our way to the opening night of Madame Butterfly at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. We stopped by Starbucks, where I tried a Vanilla Bean creme Frappuccino (that tastes like McD's fro-yo). Bro and I picked up tickets while FBIL parked...(and almost didn't make it to the first act!). It was a really neat experience going to an opera. I really didn't know what to expect, but I certainly wasn't expecting what I experienced. One must have a vivid imagination and be able to follow the story line by reading and interpreting the textual translations over the stage. If I hadn't read a synopsis, I don't think I would have gotten the full story. All in all, we agreed that it was a different experience.


Since I got home so late (11:30 p.m.), I really did not want to go to work today, so I called in sick. I was actually able to sleep in a bit and then met bro at Overland Cafe for breakfast at 9:45. We had a nice time, despite my faux pas of knocking over my coffee, which spilled all over my bag. We left around 11 A.M., and I made two pit-stops before returning home.

BF and I were going to go to Lake Shrine on Sunset or the Getty Museum, but since we were leaving our place at 1 PM and planning on going to my favorite Mexican restaurant, we didn't think the timing would work out. We went straight to lunch, where I ordered the chicken fajita for the first time. It was better than I expected! We thoroughly enjoyed our meal.

Afterward, we stopped by the Fox Studios lot in Century City to visit a friend, who hooked up a discount to Season 3 of My Name is Earl! I am soOoooOO excited and can't wait to watch it! Afterwards, we stopped by the Westside Pavilion to shop a bit, but I didn't find anything that I really wanted. Besides, BF bought me a pea coat that will arrive tomorrow and he is getting me a turtle tank for my Lil Focker that I love soOooOo much! :D

Lastly, we stopped by Baskin-Robbins for the traditional birthday cake...only BF bought me 2 cakes (and a real ice-cream milkshake)! He keeps outdoing himself every year! Now, I am just waiting for FBIL and Bro to come over so we can have some delicious cake.


All I wanted for today was to have a nice, relaxing birthday and it certainly was. Thank you to all my friends and family who have wished me a happy birthday!

XOXO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a fabulous day! And yay to calling in sick! Wishing you a joyful year! We love you!