Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Last Team Day

I am still anxiously counting down the days until this academic year of craziness ends. Today was my last day with the Team, and it was so anticlimactic and aggravating for a plethora of reasons. I texted Hubby at 9 AM with an obscene message relaying how aggravated I was. I had to put my game face on b/c we were "partying" all day with the kids -- we baked cupcakes and the kids got to decorate them.

Actually, our first guest was a kid I saw individually. I recently held his IEP and was like, great, both parents are attorneys and wouldn't you know, the mother's sister is an SLP in a nearby school district. The IEP actually went really well. In fact, his parents even shared that he loves working with me. That was a shining moment for me. When I got ready this morning for work, I was a little bit sad to think that I couldn't really say good-bye to these kids b/c I can't let anyone know that I won't be back next year (politics). Well, he was the first one that came in and wouldn't you know, he's allergic to nuts. And everything we had was processed on equipment/plants that processed nuts. He seriously looked like he was going to cry. I read every label twice but didn't want to chance the cupcakes, lest the flour be contaminated. This kid tells me to go to Target (down the street) to buy a mix to read the box. Seriously. As I frantically tried to think of something, he reminded me of Crane from "Kung Fu Panda." He looks at me with his huge, sad eyes and said, "this sucks...this is turning out to be really disappointing." I know! His teacher has been telling me since last week that he was so excited about this party!

Suddenly, I remembered that just last week, I bought a 3 pound bag of gummy bears from Target! I ran to my car to get it and scored! He was a happy camper, putting cupcake icing and sprinkles on and making me eat one (or two :). Then he asked for lemonade and so super-paranoid me said, "Wait, I have to read the label." This second grader shows me up and says, "Gees, it's not like you're pouring me peanut juice! It's lemonade!!" I said, "Has anyone ever called you a smart aleck?" He said, "So are you, but that's okay because you're a teacher." This is one kid I will miss.

On my way home, husband mentioned that he did something at home that was a surprise (and that if I don't figure out what he did, he was going to be "so mad").

When I got home, I looked around and then instantly noticed that Lil F's aquarium water level was higher than this morning (for the past few mornings, I've been telling myself I need to add more. Per husband, I've been neglecting my poor turtle this year). What the fuzzy? Hubby had cleaned her tank!! It gets even better. He did four loads of laundry...and FOLDED IT ALL!

And he listened to me vent for a while and didn't even stop me from cursing b/c he knew how upset I was.

What a great one I've got!

...But after accruing all these brownie points, one was taken away when he said I couldn't make myself a drink. I guess I have to hold out until Thursday for the real celebration.

Tomorrow will be my last day with two of my students with severe autism. I'm really sad so I gladly baked another batch of cupcakes to bring tomorrow. The lame thing is that I didn't have a muffin tin...nor aluminum baking cups...so blobs came out of the oven. I ended up cutting them into heart shapes. :) If I remember, I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them. That's if they don't get frosting everywhere...!

No comments: